Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,636 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey,

There's an awful lot of talk about turbocharging 2.3's. But not so much on supercharging them.

I have been talking to a lot of people, and 95% of them are telling me that supercharging a 2.3 is the way to go. They said that with the superchargers beat the turbos because they don't have lag, sound like a muscle car and even make more power etc.

If there's anyone with any experiance in both, I'd like to know which one you think is the better fit for the 2.3 and why. I'm thinking of adding one of the two and need to come to a final decision. Also, which one is easier to come by, the super or turbo?

Thanks, Steve.

·
Banned
9,214 Posts
id turbo..

although a SC is better, the power is there you gotta look at this

with a SC its harder on parts, a turbo isint as hard

a SC you have to over come more loss to get that power VS a turbo you over come less.

anyone who thinks turbos arent powerful enough is foolish, i saw a stang lastnight, granted its a V8, 4.6L,run 155 mph in the quarter mile, hanging and beating 1000 HP dragsters.

now the dragsters were only running 8th mile, but he had them too.

then again, theres nothing like the whine of a SC!

its a hard choice. but for a V6 or a ol 2.3, id go turbo.

IMO

how many 2.3's u know that sound like as much muscle as a V8?

·
Registered
1,854 Posts
The turbo is 70-80% efficient. The turbo uses what the engine is already providing to produce power. Exhaust is free power.
The SC is about 50% efficient. The SC robs power from the engine to produce power. Sort of like a parasite.

What determines which will make "more power" will be design, tune, and dyno time.

You will be hard pressed to put together a SC setup on this engine. There is no "kit" for the 2.3L LIMA engine out there at all. If you were to go this route, I hope you have the tools, education and facilities to fabricate everything required to install a suprcharger. If so, move forth and be a pioneer!

You also won't able to run much boost with either setup without engine modifications.

Yes, there is some "lag" with a turbo as some mis-term it. What most refer to as lag is actually called boost threshold. Boost threshold is the area where the compressor wheel makes it's useful charge from. This all has to do with wheel trim and A/R, with respect as to where your compressor will do what it is supposed to do. Compressor maps show this area of performance.
Lag is more like how long a turbo wheel will take to spin back up after shifting gears. A bypass valve is needed to keep from damaging a compressor wheel and allow the turbine to stay rotating during shifting, as the TB will act as a brake to the incoming compressor's charge air and create compressor stall, or surge. Some superchargers have them as well.

A supercharger sounds like a worn out power steering pump to me, not muscle car, sorry. The only exception there is a roots type blower sticking out of the hood.

I also would like to add that if the SC is so much better and powerful, than why hasn't someone done this mod in bulk yet? Most serious racers have found that the turbo will out-flow the SC setup and produce extremely positive results.

·
Registered
1,636 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks

Thank-you NavySVO and 05Horse. I will definitely go the turbo way now. Thanks for the info.:bigthumbsup

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.