Ford Mustang Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm going to give my GT its first oil change this weekend. I've had it about 6 months, and it has roughly about 1,300 miles on it, its my weekend fun car.

So far this is what I got for changing the oil:

I got Rhino Ramps 8000 for getting it off the ground
-6 QTs of 5w20 oil
-Oil Filter (anyone know a good brand to use available at AutoZone?)
-Drain Pan
-Wrench for removing oil filter

Anything else you guys use? I read up on what the 2010 GT needs, 6 quarts is kind of a lot, that'll probably be at least $36 for synthetic oil in total.

·
Registered
12,664 Posts
I spend $50 every time i change my oil. Mobil 1 fully synthetic oil and a MoCo filter. Its the blood of the engine, so why buy cheap oil or filter is my logic. I only do it 3-4 times a year every 3,000 miles so its not a big cost. And my engine runs better, well feels like it runs smoother with.

But yes, thats all you need. Get it off the ground, put off the drain plug with a socket wrench, i think its 5/8's im not sure, let drain into drain pan, oil filter wrench for the filter, again drain into pan. Reinstall plug, reinstall filter but make sure to apply a thin coat of oil to the gasket of the new filter as it will make it easier to pull off next time, pour in 6 qts of oil and you're done.

And 6 qts isnt that much, my sister's 3.0 V6 Escape takes 6 qts of 5w-20 and the same filter. Its the exact same as my 4.6 V8 mustang, go figure lol

·
Registered
3,055 Posts
hmm, i didn't see any "oil dry" on your list. always goof to have some handy just in case....

·
Registered
148 Posts
Don't forget to make sure the oil filter ring comes off with the old filter and doesn't get stuck on the block. That will save your some headache.

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
You might want a wrench to remove the oil drain plug.

The oil recommended by Ford in the owner's manual is cheaper and it is all you need (synthetic BLEND)

Personally, I think you are wasting your money changing the oil and filter BEFORE the recommended interval.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Good Evening Sir!

All of the previous comments are great comments. Please let me add a few items. 1 - Put some oil on the rubber ring on the oil filter before you screw on the filter. It will help you tighten the filter a little more. 2 - Fill the oil filter about half full before you put it on. This will cause the oil pressure to increase alot quicker; thus shorten the time it is without pressure. 3 - Once you are under the car, take a few minutes and look around. Look for what is bent, scraped, or otherwise looks bad. Remember, it's your car and you care, so look, make notes, etc. Have a flashlight or other light source ready to help you see better. 4 - Motorcraft filters are excellent. If for some reason you can't get a Motorcraft, K&N, Bosch, or Mobil 1 are very good substitutes. All of us have a favorite. Other than price, there is probably very little difference. I'm partial to K&N. You always need a backup. 5 - Look at the old oil after you get it out of the car. This is not a big for a new car, but as time goes by, it becomes more important. You are looking something hard, or metallic. I know guys that filter the old oil through a paper towel to see if anything is suspended in the fluid.

This sound like "OVERKILL" but it isn't. It could save you alot of money in the future. Remember your local Grease Monkey isn't looking for these items. That's why you must.

Fare Ye Well My Friend,

ChasMuss

·
Registered
2,250 Posts
4 - Motorcraft filters are excellent. If for some reason you can't get a Motorcraft, K&N, Bosch, or Mobil 1 are very good substitutes. All of us have a favorite. Other than price, there is probably very little difference. I'm partial to K&N. You always need a backup.
All great comments. I just want to point out that I use one of the non-Motorcraft filters listed in Chas' post, and it is a "high capacity" filter so I always need about 6-1/4 quarts per oil change. Just something to think about...guess I'm in love with that brand of filter or something but having to buy a 7th quart of Mobil 1 each oil change gets costly, but my baby likes it :bigthumbsup

·
Registered
2,083 Posts
I'm all about the Motorcraft Syn Blend oils and filters. Not only are they cheap, it's what Ford says to use.

·
Registered
2,556 Posts
Don't forget the beer and maybe replace the stock drain plug with a magnetic one.

·
Registered
2,083 Posts
My local Wally World has both at a fair price. I buy the 5qt bottle and a 1qt. Saves even more.
Yeah ditto, I think I get out the door with the 5+1 and a filter for like 18 bucks.

Can't beat it.....:bigthumbsup

·
Registered
13,170 Posts

·
Registered
2,556 Posts

·
Registered
3,055 Posts
look at a good fram filter and maybe val syn blend get some rags cause you will need them.

might want to think twice about the Fram filter. a lot of controversy out there on it. the Motorcraft filter is an excellent filter and is also less expensive.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.