Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've had my mustang for about 7 months now and I always keep it clean... and from a distance, it looks absolutely flawless...

Unfortunately, when you get up close, you can see its imperfections... My car spent its youth as a company car, and the previous driver used it for trips through Nevada, L.A., the desert, etc etc... So now, theres' plenty of scratches, nicks in the headlamps, little chunks of paint are missing from the bumber, and the windshield's scattered with tiny little scratches etc etc...

The bumbers are not a problem, because I intend to get a set of Cobra bumbers soon, but the headlights, the paint scratches, and the windshield are my main concern... I've used the most expensive car wax/treatment stuff I can find around here, and it makes the car really shiny, but it doesn't fix the problem. Also, the headlights are so scratched and damaged, that some of the light is actually reflected back into the headlamp when they're on and it impairs my night visibility drastically. If there's ANY way possible to fix the headlamps without having to buy new ones, I'd like to know. And if there's ANY way to fix the paint, I'd like to know. I can understand if there's not an easy way to fix the windshield, but if there is, please tell me!:weeps

It just bugs me when I pull up to my friends black 05 GT and her paint is smooth as glass, but mine has all these little scratches and swirls in it. :doh:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,568 Posts
Sounds like the car could use a good Buff Job.

If the scratches aren't deep and the clear coat isnt too old, some places will buff off a layer which will remove any light scratchs and swirls from hand washing.

Headlights are another story, you can still buff them too and that might smooth it out, if worse comes to worse it's like 200 for new casings I think there are some good prices at www.mustangtuning.com if they havn't changed their site in awhile.

Just rered- buffing the headlight lenses should clear them up for you pretty well! :thumbsup:

Can't say much on the windshield, woudln't know what to do there, doubt it can be buffed. lol - might want to check www.stangparts.com for some good prices on busted mustangs parting out, installing a winshield isn't to difficult. and prices could be forgiving :)

Hey a new car is a new car, my car has like 7 different color reds! :shocked:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sweet beans! But what should I do if there's no more clearcoat on my paint? Because I really don't think there is =\ Its pretty bad once you get a good look... If I can, I'll get a picture of the problem areas and post it here if that'll help.

Any suggestions on a buffer? (is that what you call it?) My dad has one, but he bought it at Wal Mart for like, 15 bucks... so I"m not really sure how good it is.

ALSO: I've considered getting the entire car repainted a kind of deeper black, triple black or something like that. Does anyone know about how much that would cost? Or i guess the better question would be, would it be easier to just have it repainted with a new clearcoat, or to fix the problem myself with hardware?
Thanks for any feedback :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,568 Posts
mac_mogul said:
Sweet beans! But what should I do if there's no more clearcoat on my paint? Because I really don't think there is =\ Its pretty bad once you get a good look... If I can, I'll get a picture of the problem areas and post it here if that'll help.

Any suggestions on a buffer? (is that what you call it?) My dad has one, but he bought it at Wal Mart for like, 15 bucks... so I"m not really sure how good it is.

ALSO: I've considered getting the entire car repainted a kind of deeper black, triple black or something like that. Does anyone know about how much that would cost? Or i guess the better question would be, would it be easier to just have it repainted with a new clearcoat, or to fix the problem myself with hardware?
Thanks for any feedback :)
Depending on how old the car is. I think Factory issued paint has 5 coats of clear or 3, either way if it's a 99+ it should defiently have clear coat on it still, unless you've gone through a lot of acid rain storms.

I just had my whole car esitimated for a paintjob, if there are no dents and we're talking top of the line (from Maaco) it's like 1100 done. and that's for a metallic. wel pearl

With my dents and such it totaled out to be 1450 I think.

which is a very nice price.

You can even go s tep down and prolly get it forr 700-800 bucks.

I dunno if that's your budget, I didn't do it because my car is from 94 and I might not have it much longer. Going to try to literally eek out one more year. and find a newer car.

But a Paint job from maaco will definetly solve any paint problems. good luck!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
11,433 Posts
Mustangdewd3.8 said:
Sounds like the car could use a good Buff Job.

If the scratches aren't deep and the clear coat isnt too old, some places will buff off a layer which will remove any light scratchs and swirls from hand washing.

Headlights are another story, you can still buff them too and that might smooth it out, if worse comes to worse it's like 200 for new casings I think there are some good prices at www.mustangtuning.com if they havn't changed their site in awhile.

Just rered- buffing the headlight lenses should clear them up for you pretty well! :thumbsup:

Can't say much on the windshield, woudln't know what to do there, doubt it can be buffed. lol - might want to check www.stangparts.com for some good prices on busted mustangs parting out, installing a winshield isn't to difficult. and prices could be forgiving :)

Hey a new car is a new car, my car has like 7 different color reds! :shocked:
Actually, they CAN buff out a windshield. Go to a Glass Tech place. Insurance sometimes covers it, as it's a safety issue . ..
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,568 Posts
kscoyote said:
Actually, they CAN buff out a windshield. Go to a Glass Tech place. Insurance sometimes covers it, as it's a safety issue . ..
really?!

... then I might want mine fixed too then ^^

Thanks for bringing that up, would have never thought it was an safety issue
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
11,433 Posts
Mustangdewd3.8 said:
really?!

... then I might want mine fixed too then ^^

Thanks for bringing that up, would have never thought it was an safety issue
yeah, tell your agent you can't see well at night because of the pitted windshield.
 
1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top