Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know there is tons of info out there about surging idle and what not...but nothing ive read has helped me so far...so im crying out for help. I have a 88 mustang lx. All new vacuum lines. new lower and upper cobra intake. new fuel injectors, new spark plugs and wires. new fuel filter. 40 psi at fuel rails....all this was installed this past weekend and went for a ten min drive and then it wanted to stall when i would stop giving it gas. then it surges at idle. im a newbie so any info would be helpful...

·
Registered
64 Posts
check you iac valve yhat tends to make issue with surge also look at your salt an pepper plugs make sure you have 98.0 volts at the tpi sensor. is that a speed density car if so look into converting to mass air. i had the same problem with my 87 lx. i converted to mass air an no more surge !

·
Registered
214 Posts
this may be a stupid question but how do i convert to mass air?
you will need to get mass air (MAF) calibrated for your inj# and change to A9L computer - like those used in 1990-1993
I guess it's manual so A9L.

·
Registered
330 Posts
You more than likely have a vacuum leak. during warmup the motor runs really rich, which is able to compensate for the extra air comming into the motor, but once it heats up it will run lean and rough. check around your intake gaskets, all vacuum hook ups, etc. One way I found to track leaks down is to start the car for a minute with the belt off, that way you can hear the leak better.. just keep it under a couple of minutes and it won't cause any problems with overheating.

·
Registered
21 Posts
88 5.0s in california were mass air the rest were speed density and all were mass air in 89 if im not mistaken orielleys has reman computors for mass air swap right at $100

1 - 8 of 8 Posts