Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently noticed that my 1996 GT 5 speed is stumbling or surging intermittently. There is no loss of power when this is not occuring. I was wondering if anyone had any ideas as to the cause. My thoughts were possibly a dirty or malfunctioning MAF sensor, possibly a throttle positioning sensor, or something in the ECM, citing the erratic nature of the problem.

Any input would be appreciated.

·
Registered
2,579 Posts
It could be the MAF, a bad spark plug, a bad spark plug wire, a bad coil pack, dirty or faulty injector, or a dirty fuel filter.

·
Registered
701 Posts
skinautique1985 said:
I recently noticed that my 1996 GT 5 speed is stumbling or surging intermittently. There is no loss of power when this is not occuring. I was wondering if anyone had any ideas as to the cause. My thoughts were possibly a dirty or malfunctioning MAF sensor, possibly a throttle positioning sensor, or something in the ECM, citing the erratic nature of the problem.

Any input would be appreciated.
Skinautique,

I had this problem too, but on my 2000 GT (no sparkplug wires).
This happened to me when we got the huge rain storm, about a month ago up here in New England.
The problem was some water in the main electric conector. Drying all the electric connectors worked just fine.

You might want to check for the same.
If that's not the case, I GUESS you have a bad Spark plug cable which fires across to an other cylinder, or onto the block.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.