Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
927 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm wondering what suspension set up is best for road racing and drag racing. I know that eibach has springs intended for drag racing: Eibach Mustang Drag-Launch Springs (05-09 GT) at AmericanMuscle.com - Free Shipping! but how do they work for road racing? I guess im trying to find a good medium that will provide for both drag and road racing. I would be buying, springs, sway bars, and struts, shocks

yes I have used the search button....but none has my question :)

·
Registered
174 Posts
Stock springs would probably be the best medium. From what I know (which isn't much) Drag springs are softer and road racing springs are shorter and stiffer. I might be wrong but maybe someone will shoot me down or back me up lol

·
Registered
2,250 Posts
Yeah - drag springs won't work so hot on the twisties. I'd suggest changing out your dampers to adjustable units. Get something like the QA1's. Find a road race setting that works for you and one for drag racing.

·
Registered
9,239 Posts
suspension for road and drag racing.
That's an oxymoron.

You can't set a suspension up to do both even "well". Even if you have 3 way adjustable dampers. You are talking about two completely different jobs.

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
That's an oxymoron
+1

I would think that one setup would detract from the other.

·
Banned
1,104 Posts
What sqidd says is pretty much correct and he knows his stuff when it comes to suspension and road racing.

I'm gonna open with this. One of the most significant suspension changes you can make is to get the right tires! Start there. (everyone always overlooks the tires)

Past that there are a lot of factors that come into play when setting up suspension and just throwing springs and struts on willy nilly is gonna cause you more trouble than it's worth. Basically if you're going to change springs, spring rates, etc. you need to have dampers that are a good match to control the spring rebound.

From there we could jump off into conversations about linear vs progressive springs, how these all play into the handling dynamics of the car, etc. Those conversations have been covered here before.

Here is some good 'light reading' on suspension.
http://www.allfordmustangs.com/foru...3-setup-2009-mustang-rearend.html#post1841594

Getting back to your original idea though. I would consider the following to be a pretty good suspension 'swiss army knife':

Steeda Sports Springs
Steeda HD upper strut mounts
Koni 'Yellow' shocks and struts
UMI solid lower LCAs w/ roto-joints
UMI UCA w/ roto joint & HD mount
Adjustable PHB
LCA relocation brackets with multiple attachment points
(optional) heavier sway bars depending on how hard you want to go cornering.

The Steeda Sports are only going to lower you about 1" and they are a good match for the Koni's.

The Koni's are adjustable dampers so you can set them up depending on your application (I'd leave them turned all the way down for most applicaitons)

The HD strut mounts will allow you to get a proper alignment done and set up some decent negative camber for hitting the turns. Might want to also consider a bump steer kit...

The UCA and LCA's I noted have a urethane bushing on one end that is less compliant than the stock rubber ones and a roto joint that can articulate similar to a rod end on the other but with much less NVH. (prevents binding)

Having the relo brackets with multiple attachment points will allow you to manipulate your instant center. Run your LCAs in a 'tail down' configuration for drag but not for road racing. This position will give you better forward bite, but will also exacerbate the car's tendency to snap oversteer. For hitting twisties, set the LCA's in either a parallel or even a bit of a 'tail up' position.

The adjustable PHB and UCA will allow you to correct your rear end geometry after lowering. You could use adjustable LCAs to and then have the added ability to manipulate your thrust angle.

For drag racing you'll want to detach your front sway bar to aid in weight transfer. For road racing depending on how hard you're driving it you may even want to heavier one than the one you have now.

Now the disclaimer: I'm NO suspension expert, but this is what I would do based on several hours of research and conversations with other drivers/road racers/autocrossers

FINALLY: After I've said all of that, my best advice is to upgrade the nut behind the wheel before you go throwing loads of money at the car. Go hit the strip, go hit the track. Do some Friday Night Test-n-tunes, try a weekend AutoX, do a couple of HPDE1's, maybe an EVO school, get the experienced guys to ride shotgun and pass along their pearls of wisdom and go learn how to drive your car.. I mean really "drive" your car. Figure out what the car will and won't do and what exactly you'd like to improve on.

While you're out doing this talk to the other drivers. Find out what works and what doesn't. You'll improve your skills significantly (and that's a mod you get to keep for every vehicle you'll ever own) and you'll have a better idea of what you want to do with the car by then and how to get there. At that point all of your mods will be more meaningful because you'll actually be able to appreciate the changes you've made (for better or worse).

Just my $.02 and probably worth about the same. :bigthumbsup

1 - 6 of 6 Posts