Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm ready to lower my car. Now the question I have is, do I need to get shocks/struts or is there a set of lowering springs that doesn't require the stock ones to be changed?

·
Registered
31 Posts
I went with the FRPP 1" drop springs without changing anything else. Took about a hour and a half at a buddies shop and it doesn't ride much different from stock as far as comfort.

·
Registered
570 Posts
I went with the FRPP 1" drop springs without changing anything else. Took about a hour and a half at a buddies shop and it doesn't ride much different from stock as far as comfort.
Did the front get bouncier at all?

·
Registered
31 Posts
No, just a lot stiffer. Handles 10 times better and looks much more aggressive. I haven't had an opportunity to take pics since we lowered it.

·
Registered
146 Posts
if u dont mind spending a few bucks, call up Fred at Evolution Performance and ask for the stuff that i have. He sold me all Steeda parts (less the bmr lower control arm rellocation brackets). The car is now lower, hooks up better (0-60), has NOOOO wheel hop, handles better and looks sinister.

·
Registered
54 Posts
if u dont mind spending a few bucks, call up Fred at Evolution Performance and ask for the stuff that i have. He sold me all Steeda parts (less the bmr lower control arm rellocation brackets). The car is now lower, hooks up better (0-60), has NOOOO wheel hop, handles better and looks sinister.
What was the drop like with the ultralites? Around 1 1/2"?

·
Registered
2,305 Posts
Did somebody say sinister? Steeda Sports springs, Koni Adjustables, SVT upper strut mount, UPR panhard rod. 4 hours to install in my garage, 4,000 times better handling and appearance. If you are going to pull the struts and rear springs, might as well replace them at once. You won't regret it.

·
Registered
355 Posts
I was very much in your position. I just wanted to lower my car with springs, but the more I read indicated that you should really consider:

- Camber/caster plates (to ensure that you can bring your negative camber back to spec)
- Adjustable panhard bar (to ensure that your rear axle can be properly centered)

When considering these items, you may as well upgrade the shocks/struts (Koni STR.T or Sports) while you're going through the trouble or paying for labor costs.

·
Registered
549 Posts
I'm thinking about the same thing. I want to lower mine, but have to keep the stock shocks/struts. I noticed the Roush extreme lowering springs are recommended to be used with the stock shocks/struts, so I might go with those or the FRPP P springs.

·
Registered
146 Posts
yea about 1.5" drop.

and yes, i said SINISTER lol :gringreen

·
Registered
6,461 Posts
Did somebody say sinister? Steeda Sports springs, Koni Adjustables, SVT upper strut mount, UPR panhard rod. 4 hours to install in my garage, 4,000 times better handling and appearance. If you are going to pull the struts and rear springs, might as well replace them at once. You won't regret it.
I was very much in your position. I just wanted to lower my car with springs, but the more I read indicated that you should really consider:

- Camber/caster plates (to ensure that you can bring your negative camber back to spec)

- Adjustable panhard bar (to ensure that your rear axle can be properly centered)

When considering these items, you may as well upgrade the shocks/struts (Koni STR.T or Sports) while you're going through the trouble or paying for labor costs.
Our Pan Hard Bar is only $149 with a lifetime guarantee and free shipping in July!

2005-2011 Ford Mustang Pro Street Double Adjustable Pan Hard Bar - UPR Products

(we also carry struts/shocks/springs for the drop as well) :bigthumbsup

·
Registered
185 Posts
I'm ready to lower my car. Now the question I have is, do I need to get shocks/struts or is there a set of lowering springs that doesn't require the stock ones to be changed?
I installed steeda sport springs without installing shocks and I would recommend that at the very least you replace the factory strut mounts. They are one-time-use and if you don't take them off VERY carefully they will get damaged. I lost a few bearings in mine when I removed them and the car felt like **** several months while I waited and waited for my koni sports to come in.

The car handled better and stopped better, but after some time I got really tired of the way the car felt with just springs and no shocks. I had Koni sport struts on backorder and waited about 5 months for them to come in. Just installed them a few days ago and the difference is absolutely enormous.

So in short, if you do springs alone, it might be a good idea to put new factory strut mounts on when you swap them in. I imagine the factory parts aren't very expensive. I would also at least add a panhard bar. They aren't very expensive or hard to install and all of the aftermarket bars weigh a lot less than stock.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts