Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a '68 coupe with a 289 3-speed manual tranny and up until recently all I wanted to do was pour all my money into the engine without thinking about the suspension. And once again, like most of the things I come here for, I know pretty much nothing about it. And other than the inner and outer tie rods on both sides I'm sure nothing has been replaced since 1968 when it came off the assembly line. I also have a LOT of play in the steering wheel. I was just wondering if some of you out there could tell me what are the most crucial parts to replace and possibly upgrade? I'm a little strapped for cash right now so I'm going to try and take it once piece at a time but I eventually want to completely swap it out. But what would be best to start out with? Thanks for your help.:)

·
Registered
6,279 Posts
it sounds like you're asking about steering then, rather than suspension. Rebuilding the steering involves replacing different components than the suspension.

Do you have manual or power steering? I can only speak for manual, but there are 4 main components that will affect your steering play. Those being:
1. Inner and outer tie rod ends
2. Idler arm
3. Steering gear box
4. Steering shaft coupler, commonly referred to as a rag joint.

The idler arm is an easy fix but will probably result in the least amount of noticeable improvement.

Getting the steering gearbox rebuilt will result in significant improvement and restore much control back to your steering.

Replacing the rag joint, if it's severely worn, can also make major improvements. I remember when I replaced the one on my 78 LTDII it was a night and day difference in the steering.

The tie rods will obviously make improvements as well, and are relatively straightforward to replace, but you want to make sure you take good measurements before removing them so you know how far to screw in the new ones. Additionally, you'll probably have to get the car realigned since you'll still probably affect the toe-in on the car.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have manual steering. I just recently replced my inner and outer tie rods. Thank you for all the advice Lizer and thank you for the link as well andrewmp6. :smilie Helped a LOT.

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
The idler arm is an easy fix but will probably result in the least amount of noticeable improvement.
Unless the idler arm bushing is worn out - if it is, this can be a huge improvement.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Steering wheel play can come from many sources: worn steering gear box may need adjustment, worn idler arm, tie rod ends. I like to start out by watching the steering move under the vehicle while someone in the car turns the wheels back and forth. You want to see the components move smoothly. Any delay in movement, jerking/binding or clunking points to a problem Good luck.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts