Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all, I'm thinking of upgrading the brakes on my 86 5.0 GT. It still has the stock 4cyl settup that Ford used until it went to the 60mm caliper for 87-93. I have already purchased the correct spindles needed for the upgrade. I want to go with the 73mm SVO calipers from the 84-86 SVO cars, but in the fine print on the bottom, it says that they are not recommended for drum brake rears. What gives? This is kind of making me worry... any insight would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
230 Posts
I am no expert on this but I would venture to guess the master cylinder is inadequate and the proportioning valve is different. I'm not 100% sure on this, hopefully a person with more experience chimes in

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah I wasnt sure about the master cylinder. I was thinking about upgrading to the 93 Cobra master if it wasnt going to be too hard. Just want to get rid of the crappy 4cyl stuff. Thanks for the input though, much appreciated.

·
Registered
13,138 Posts
Along with the MC I also think you will need a brake booster as the 4 cylinder one is also smaller.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I agree all of these make sense. I will look into the 87-93 GT brake booster, and MC. My initial thought was it would throw off control under hard breaking, as the SVO calipers would have more bite than the drums, and it would pull the rear around. Does anyone know of anyone who has done this swap? The calipers are only like $125 on latemodelresto

·
Banned
480 Posts
Yeah a new MC, booster and potentially a proportioning valve.
MC out of a Cobra or 94-98 Mustang V6. A booster from the V6 SN95's will work well too.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
OK, so we can all agree that the issue is the inability for the stock equipment on the 86 to hold up to the larger brakes, and not that the car will be unsafe during hard braking. Most of those parts seem fairly easy to swap around. Im lucky enough to have a SN95 Cobra for refrence as well. I will post more about my brake build when I can, most likely after XMAS..

·
Registered
13,138 Posts
And if you really wanna splurge stainless steel brake lines are a great upgrade also.

Good luck :bigthumbsup

·
Registered
797 Posts
I agree all of these make sense. I will look into the 87-93 GT brake booster, and MC. My initial thought was it would throw off control under hard breaking, as the SVO calipers would have more bite than the drums, and it would pull the rear around. Does anyone know of anyone who has done this swap? The calipers are only like $125 on latemodelresto
This assumption is wrong. All braking system typically involve 75% braking force up front, 25% at the rear. That's why car companies get away the antiquated and crappy drum brake system.

If you are going through the time and expense to the change master cylinder and brake booster (which is a royal pain in the a$$), just upgrade the rear to disc brakes while you're at it. I understand going to stock style V8 brakes may be an upgrade from the four banger brakes, but there is no substitute for the stronger and waaay better SN95 set up. Frankly the V8 brakes SUCK! The SVO version only gives you an extra lug but no extra braking power over the stock V8 system.

Save a little bit longer...you can get most, if not all parts through junk yards. You won't regret it.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Agreed with Smurf Stang, the stainless braideds are a must! As for the rear brake disc conversion, will the rear brakes from any sn-95 work? My rear calipers froze on my Cobra about 6 months ago, and I bought new ones from Latemodel, but kept the calipers to rebuild in the furture. What other parts would I need for the swap? Kinda new to the brake conversion scene...

·
Registered
797 Posts
Agreed with Smurf Stang, the stainless braideds are a must! As for the rear brake disc conversion, will the rear brakes from any sn-95 work? My rear calipers froze on my Cobra about 6 months ago, and I bought new ones from Latemodel, but kept the calipers to rebuild in the furture. What other parts would I need for the swap? Kinda new to the brake conversion scene...
Depends on which brake booster and master cylinder you decide on. The stock V8 booster and MC won't support rear disc brakes; a 1993 Cobra booster and MC will.

That's really the only reason I mention if you're going to dig into this stuff, why not put a worthy brake system in? The stock 5.0 brake system sucks. Period.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Oh no, I completely understand, and I thank you for your help. If im going to do it, i will do it right. Seems like 93 Cobra brake system is the way to go, I will hopefully be able to find all of the parts on aftermarket sites.

·
Registered
797 Posts
At the very least, the '93 Cobra booster and MC will support any mods you decide on down the road, including a full Cobra brake set up from an SN95 era vehicle.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I see that you have the Cobra brake settup on your 5.0, What size are the rotors? I was unsure if the SVO calipers would require the 10 inch GT rotors. If I have to get bigger rotors, I might have clearance issues with my standard 10-hole phone dials?

·
Registered
797 Posts
I have the 1998 Cobra brakes on mine, so the front rotor is 13 inches, and rear is 11.65 inches.

If you use the SVO rotor, the stock 87-93 caliper should work with that. They should be a dime a dozen at the junk yards.

Aren't your stock wheels 15 inches? If so, they should fit.

Sorry, I see where you want to upgrade to the 73mm SVO caliper. That is supposed to be something you can bolt right on according to various websites.

·
Registered
3,449 Posts
Oh no, I completely understand, and I thank you for your help. If im going to do it, i will do it right. Seems like 93 Cobra brake system is the way to go, I will hopefully be able to find all of the parts on aftermarket sites.
Go with SN95 Brakes and a 93 Cobra MC and Booster.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Oh so you have the same settup that my '96 Cobra has, VERY nice haha. Yes the 73mm will fit the 87-93 direct bolt on from what Ive heard. I was able to score some black powdercoated spindles from Ebay for under $100, thats kind of hows this whole thing started.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Go with SN95 Brakes and a 93 Cobra MC and Booster.
Yes that is most likely the settup I will go with in the rear. But the SVO settup in the front is where im leaning right now

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
The only thing holding me back from the SN95/5 lug conversion, is the odd fact that I like my 10 hole phone dials:bigthumbsup

1 - 20 of 25 Posts