Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello all. ive got a 1993 2.3L LX that i am thinking of turning into an svo and just wanted to know if anyone else has done something like this. what is involved? what kind of price should i expect to do this? i plan to change everything....motor, tranny, body work. anything that needs to be changed to make an svo clone. thanks for your help guys

·
Registered
69 Posts
it a big job... but man it fun... you need the 5 bolt SVO Axles as well as yada yada yada...

it could take you a good long time to get it pefectly to the way you want it but thats the fun part. you need to take a donor motor from a 2.3L T Car and ECM and Harness. Cars with these motors are as follows;

-1985-89 Merkur XR4Ti (Needs Big VAM From 1987-88 TC or SVO)
-1983-86 Ford T-Bird TC (May have Smaller Injectors tho, and needs Big VAM From 1987-88 TC or SVO)
-1983-86 Mercury Cougar XR7 TC (See 1983-86 T-Bird TC)
-1984.5-86 Ford Mustang SVO (Dead Match to your goal)
-1984.5 Anniversary GT350 Turbo (Closest Match to SVO w/o being an SVO)
-1987-88 Ford T-Bird TC (Needs Garrett Turbo From Earlier Model TC, SVO, or Merkur XR4Ti)

Now due to the sensitivity of some peoples feelings... some of these vehicles are rare to get a hold of and some wont think kindly of someone just gutting one to make an SVO Clone (i.e. a Decent SVO or an Anniversary GT350 Turbo) and some just wont sell their cars for the cause (Merkur Owners, LOL) but you can find a whole donor if you look hard enough... the smart thing is a whole donor car.

Good Luck.

·
Registered
33 Posts

·
Banned
4,476 Posts
4bangeroffury said:
anyone know which body panels are different from the 93 lx?
hood, bumper cover, body mouldings, all lights, sale panels, rear windows, belt moldings, door mirror, drip rail mouldings, duel plane rear spoilers, rear bumper cover, SVO only spats, fenders....EVERYTHING that bolts on

·
Registered
5 Posts
I'm looking to do this as well, but with my '84 coupe so I'll have to come up with my own sail panels and spoiler. I don't think I'm going to use the SVO wheels either. I'd like to use as many aftermarket parts as possible because I'd like to leave the original parts for a real SVO.

I'd need the headlight reinforcement panel too right? What about the metal bumpers?

Recently I've seen headlight rings, fiberglass hood, hood scoop insert, turn lights, parking lights, front bumper, emblems, decals and side rubber strip.
A while back I saw a fiberglass headlight reinforcement panel and the side skirt (flares) but I can't find them anymore.

What else would I need? And where can I get this stuff?
I'm considering learning how to fiberglass so I can make more of this stuff so other people can make clones or put their original stuff in a safe place so it doesn't get wrecked.
thanks,
mike

·
Registered
5 Posts
Just to make it clear, because I've run into issues on another forum, I AM NOT attempting to part out any real SVOs or use any original SVO parts. I'm trying to use only aftermarket reproduction parts. If I need a real part to make a mold so I can make more after market parts, then I'll do that and resell the original part to someone with a real SVO. If I run into anyone parting out an SVO, I will report them and/or try to buy the entire car to save it.
I also learned that making clones is discouraged. Aside from liking the looks I would like to show it to as many people as possible in attempt to make the SVO more popular so that reproduction parts might be manufactured once more.
I'm a fan of the SVO and I only have good intentions with my project. If anyone feels that I am doing more harm than good, let me know and I will reconsider my project (I'm going out of my way to do it anyways).

·
Registered
34 Posts
quikstang2 said:
Just to make it clear, because I've run into issues on another forum, I AM NOT attempting to part out any real SVOs or use any original SVO parts. I'm trying to use only aftermarket reproduction parts. If I need a real part to make a mold so I can make more after market parts, then I'll do that and resell the original part to someone with a real SVO. If I run into anyone parting out an SVO, I will report them and/or try to buy the entire car to save it.
I also learned that making clones is discouraged. Aside from liking the looks I would like to show it to as many people as possible in attempt to make the SVO more popular so that reproduction parts might be manufactured once more.
I'm a fan of the SVO and I only have good intentions with my project. If anyone feels that I am doing more harm than good, let me know and I will reconsider my project (I'm going out of my way to do it anyways).
Don't listen to childish psychotic purists on the SVO's Forever Forum. They've completely lost sight of the purpose of cars (drive, hot rod, modify & have fun). I know several former Ford SVO Engineers on a personal basis and they laugh about it in disbelief. One of them owns an SVO with 351 motor. Another fellow has SVO front suspension fitted to his built orange Roush GT like I did. Just be aware that you'll be sitting right next to these SVO purists at car shows. That's not everyone's idea of fun. Roush built a 351 forced induction car under contract using certain SVO parts...let's beat him up.

I think you're doing more good than harm by collecting and recycling junk. Junk includes cars with little or no resale value that can fetch more money by parting out. This may include SVO, GT, LX, 911, Maserati, Studebaker, Citroen....whatever.

I personally encourage SVO model reproduction if that's your pleasure, although I feel you'd be smart to opt up to a V8 to improve NVH, torque and driveability. The difference in gas mileage & weight bias is not an offsetting advantage. From a resale value perspective, you may be wise to start with an SVO if you intend to make this project car "correct". A proper VIN & title is simply too cheap to pass up. It'd be different if you wanted a GT500KR or GT350H clone, where a correct chassis and title could cost $25K in very poor condition.

Chassis numbers don't need to match on daily drivers, no matter what anyone tells you. Unless you're building for concours show, why in the world would anyone worry about correctness? Perfection leads to high costs & garage queen duty. The assembly line workers who bolted your car together do not care. It's your car, your business.

I have seen so many SVO's parted out in salvage yards, I can't count them. Experience proves they disassemble just like Mercedes, BMW M, Pinto, Fairmont and Corvette etc. If you want parts like K-Members, Koni's or control arms, let me know. Save the whales instead.

·
Registered
13 Posts
there are lot of svo production parts in reporduction and available now. includinge the hood, front bumper cover, 3 of the 4 markers, sails, spats. tail lamps.

how extent are you looking at going to make this close? body only? drivetrain? or are you going to modify the suspention, brakes, interior. as well to make it a full clone?

I have taken on a project like this and built a convt. svo. with the 83 convt stripped to the unibody and nothing but svo stuff built around it. I did a wright up on my site www.fastest4d.com

here is a direct link http://fastest4d.com/svoconvt.html

·
Registered
8 Posts
<Snipped>

I think you're doing more good than harm by collecting and recycling junk. Junk includes cars with little or no resale value that can fetch more money by parting out. This may include SVO, GT, LX, 911, Maserati, Studebaker, Citroen....whatever.

Grrrrr..... I WISH that people would take more time to either research or ASK someone about Studebakers before they relegate them to, "Junk includes cars with little or no resale value that can fetch more money by parting out.". I'm NOT gonna get into a pissing contest about this, but you're wrong! Do more homework, us Studebaker owners have to deal with this every day and it gets old....:frustrated:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.