Ford Mustang Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

SVO sitting for 2 yrs, ?'s on how to safely turn it on.

878 views 11 replies 4 participants last post by  FrankBullitt05 
#1 ·
I have an 84 SVO that I have had sitting for about 2 years. I want to get it out to take it to the shop to chek it out but I don't know wat precautions to take (turbo wise". I've heard from people that you have to oil up the turbo so it won't blow or something. :headscratch:

My question would be wat do I have to do to protect the turbo from messing up? Any advice and/or comments would be appreciated.

Thanks.

#2 ·
Check the oil in the engine and made shure its full. Check the coolant level. check the brakes make shure you have a good pedal. Inatall a new battery. Then check the gas in the tank to make shure its not stail. It is probably Stail. You will have to drain it out. Then install fresh gas and purge the fuel lines of the stail stuff. You can purge the fuel from the schrader valve on the fuel rail. Once youhave done that crank her over and see if it starts. You do not have to worry about thee turbo at all. It does not spin until the engine is up to speed. Good luck TOM :bigthumbsup:wavey;):gringreen:hihi::D

#4 ·
You do not have to worry about thee turbo at all. It does not spin until the engine is up to speed. /quote]
Can't say as I agree with this, as the turbo will start spinning the second the engine starts.

I would prelube the engine with a drill using a hex socket inserted into the oil pump for about 60 seconds. This will get oil to all the moving parts prior to rotating them dry. This only will take about 10 minutes out of your day vise hours down the road.

My $.02

#3 ·
Thanks for the info I will get to working on that right now.

#6 ·
Ok migasmalls plan B pull the plugs and spin the motor over till you bring up oil preasure. Then install the plugs and then fire it up. Just remember to ground the coil center wire so you dont fry your TFI

#8 ·
Ok then why not drain the oil change the filter then drill prime the oil system. I here what you are saying but maybe the person does not Know how to reinstall the DIZZY. By the way the reason the engine is in distress when starting is because the oil is not suspending the rotating mass off the bearings. Weather it was started yesterday or 2 years ago. I will say that is the correct thing to do but is it necessary to get into a bind if the dizzy is installed wrong. In my shop all the engines we build are pre loobed. For the specific reason to adjust the oil preasure of the engine before it leaves the shop. We record it on the build sheet. Good point about running the pump from the ALDL test plug. I did not mention it because you have to be very careful. All the major filter companies have done tests on dry starts and they say it does not hurt anything. TOM

#9 ·
well thanks for all the advice guys. i ended up taking the car to a shop because before i last turned it on the car was really struggling to turn on and maintain. i let him fire it up for me to ensure it was done right. the mechanic told me that the engine was no good and it needed to be rebuilt. plus he alson syphened all the stale gas and put some new one in their.

I wonder if it will be cheaper to rebuild one or look for a good used one?

My dad told me that we could prob get a 2.5 L and just used the block and/or head then just put all the other parts on it from the SVO.

would that work? has anybody ever tried it? cuz i know that people turbo the 2.5L rangers so that is why i ask.

#11 ·
well the mechanic told me "the whole engine is done. who ever had this car before u really beat it to the ground." then he said it was knocking to top it off. so then he said he will know exactly wat it is if he opens it all up and checks. said it could be block, head, piston, crank, or the whole engine itself.

so i guess ima hvae to open it up myself and see wats up. the thing is that when u eventually get it to maintain it has no power on take off. and by no power i mean NO POWER!!! it will not pass 2nd gear to save your life. and its not the tranny. the engine starts smokin blue heavily and has no power at all.

#12 ·
what tests did the shop run?

They may want to replace the motor because of the age/mileage. You may be able to diagnose the issue in your garage and correct it.

I had brought my 2.3 in to the shop because it was running rough, and the shop wanted to replace the whole engine. Turn out to be a bad head gasket... so, a $2500 engine replacement or $15 for a gasket and a few hours in the garage...

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.