Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was all set to buy a 96 SVT Cobra. Garage queen, showroom new, 39K miles, some mods to bring it up to about 340hp. Last night I come across 2002 Saleen S281. The Saleen has 29K miles. Been garage kept, has great paint but not perfect. The only thing that concerns me is the undercarriage Axle and exhaust appear pretty rusty from pics. The 96 SVT never even driven in rain so it's clean underneath. I have the SVT owner down to about $10.5K I know the history and I don't think I'd find a better treated well preserved car. The Cobra is only 3 miles from me. I totally trust the owner and I'm set to have my mechanic who I trust with all 4 of our vehicles look at it. My Mechanic is a true enthusiast who races, works on Ferrari's to Formula V's to Volvo's The Saleen is at $12.5K and in another state. Unless I'm willing to take a days drive it would be bought sight unseen. The Saleen is rated at 285HP. In the long run will the Saleen be a more collectible car? or are they not in the same league as say a Shelby? I need to make a decision soon. I'd like to know your thoughts on this. Thanks, Spiney-Dave

·
Banned
12,436 Posts
yeah it sounds like the Cobra is in much better shape...those base Saleens will never be worth much...only the really exotic ones they make might be

·
Registered
2,146 Posts
id get the cobra hands down. as to you wanting to get 340 hp, which im guessing is to the wheels, i hope you have deep pockets. its gonna take quite a bit to get there.

·
Registered
60 Posts
go with the Cobra! 2many is right,unless its the supercharged S281 or S351 it's no more collectable than the Cobra.(IMO)
Red1999... I think he meant it had enough mods to make 340 @ the crank.

·
Registered
2,146 Posts
go with the Cobra! 2many is right,unless its the supercharged S281 or S351 it's no more collectable than the Cobra.(IMO)
Red1999... I think he meant it had enough mods to make 340 @ the crank.

oh, lol. i read it that way wrong then.

·
Registered
5,089 Posts
Since the Cobra is close and you know everything about it, i would go that way. About a non SC Saleen not being worth anything, that's not right. My 97 non SC convertible Saleen in 2004 was NADA at $16.5K. A 97 Cobra with the same miles and such would have been a few 1000 less. You have to look at what they are purchased for and the name slapped on it. Look at the price a 96 Cobra was vs a 2002 non SC Saleen.
But the Cobra sounds prestine and i would go with that.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Id go with the cobra as well, Plus if you get the saleen youll probably be spending alot more money with paying for gas there a back and a trailer to get the car back to your house... mean while the cobra is around the corner and could have the previous owner drive it to your house!! My cousins 97 has 79k miles he payed 7k so they hold their value pretty good too !!:bigthumbsup

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks everyone. I valued your opinion and also I had my local mechanic who is a true motorhead look at it. The day we went there he had a Ferrari, Healey Bug Eye Sprite, a Formula Vee Racecar, and a 70's Big Block Chevelle. He looked all over the cobra and said it looked perfect. His only observation is there was some rubber under the rear from burning out. The exhaust is still shiny all the way back. The Saleen is 6 years newer and the owner said it never saw rain or snow but there was a lot of rust on the exhaust and stabilizers. So I get the Cobra on Saturday. I'll post pics when I get it. I got a car cover from American Muscle. They have a mustang show coming up in August close to me where they will have 2 Dynos so I'll see what she really has at the rear wheels. Spiney

·
Registered
299 Posts
Good luck with the car !! And everyone who has owned a mustang im sure has done a burnout but i really dont think its anything to worry about considering how low the mileage is!! Once again congrats with the car im really looking forward to seeing those pictures!!:bigthumbsup

1 - 10 of 10 Posts