Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The block in our 94 Mustang is cracked, it's a 3.8, and we have a firebird that isn't running due to exhaust issues, so we're going to try to swap the 302 out of it into the Mustang. Does anyone have any advice/potential problems that we would need to know about before starting? We plan on doing the work ourselves, boyfriend went to school for auto mechanics, but it's a transfer from a GM to a Ford? Any advice??

·
Banned
12,435 Posts
yeah don't even try it. btw the GM engine is a 305, what you are attempting is like trying to get a chihuahua to breed with a cat, a used 3.8 from a junkyard would be a much better option, the time and money you spent trying to adapt that motor would be more than "doing it right"

·
Registered
329 Posts
Let’s see...things to think about? Motor mounts, transmission, electrical, vacuum lines, coolant and exhaust will need to be figured out. Recommend you sell the Firebird for parts and buy a new ford motor.

"is like trying to get a chihuahua to breed with a cat "

What if it was a big cat?

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
+1 on the previous replies. Even a complete rebuild to replace the cracked block would be far, FAR easier than a GM --> Ford engine swap.

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
The Mustang will reject that motor like a Chinese kidney transplant. :gringreen

·
Registered
304 Posts
different companies sell k members specifically for chevy swaps (UPR, AJE, maximum motorsports etc) so getting the motor in and mounted is the easy part. its all the accessories, cooling and fuel systems where you will need some fabrication and money to get it running. also interfacing the motor into the mustangs wiring so all the gauges and interior stuff works will take some time looking at wiring diagrams..

like said above.. sell the firebird and buy a 5.0 ford motor. or better yet sell both the v6 mustang and the fire bird and buy an already v8 mustang.. the 5.0 chevy is definitely not a good engine if you were looking for performance...something like 150 horsepower at best.. just my thoughts and opinions.. if you are gung-ho on doing the swap then more power to ya and good luck!

·
Registered
525 Posts
Hold on...I want to hear more about this chihuahua swap..lol:bigthumbsup

·
Registered
1,433 Posts
Just how old is this Firebird? The 305 was only available in 2nd and 3rd generation models until 1992. After that, the 4th generation Trans Am and Formula models had the LT1 (350) until 1997 followed by LS1 (346) engines - no V8 was available in the base Firebird.

The LS series engines are good performers but would be quite a bit of work to install in a Mustang (but it has been done successfully).

·
Registered
206 Posts
So would it be a "dat" or a "cog"? I would have to agree with not doing the swap! It would be way to involved to make it work properly and you'd end up hitting way too many unforeseen snags along the way! Im sure there are lots of 3.8 blocks out there in salvage yards and even being sold on the internet. Good luck with whatever direction you guys choose to go! Oh....and welcome to the forum!

·
Registered
513 Posts
The block in our 94 Mustang is cracked, it's a 3.8, and we have a firebird that isn't running due to exhaust issues, so we're going to try to swap the 302 out of it into the Mustang. Does anyone have any advice/potential problems that we would need to know about before starting? We plan on doing the work ourselves, boyfriend went to school for auto mechanics, but it's a transfer from a GM to a Ford? Any advice??
use car-part.com to find a local yard with a good 3.8

·
Registered
292 Posts
So we've gone zoo here?
GM had a 302 that was a real collector piece, if you really have one, sell the other stuff and concentrate on it's restoration. I have only heard of it in Cameros, and they were strong.

·
Registered
88 Posts
I could be wrong here but wasn't the Chevy 302 small block on in the 69 Camaro Z28? I know engines can be swapped but I would have to say it isn't worth the trouble to but Chevy guts in a Mustang.

·
Registered
1,433 Posts
The Chevy 302 was a 67-69 Z28 exclusive (you couldn't get a Z28 without it and you couldn't get any other Camaro with it). It was a 327 block with a 283 crank and it had an aggressive cam with solid lifters and Corvette large-port heads and aluminum intake manifold. It was created to meet Trans Am racing requirements of an engine displacement of 305CID (5.0L) or less and it was seriously underrated at 290 HP.

·
Registered
992 Posts
I agree with the ohters, swapping a 305 into anything is pretty much a waste of time. Put in another 3.8 or a 4.0 or something that will mate up to the existing transmission and mounts.

I know that Mustang people don't care, but the Chevy 302 was RPO code Z28. The car was named after the RPO code for the 302, which is why the '67 to '69 model was the only true Z28. Starting in '70 the so called Z28 had a LT1 350 in it, but the name was already so popular than GM continued to use it, even though it was actually a LT1 and not a Z28. In '73 the so called Z28 got the L82 350, and it went down hill from there.

·
Banned
12,435 Posts
c'mon you guys, it's easy to see that the OP got some bad info that the 305 was a 302, since 302 is a Ford engine size she thinks "hey why don't we put this into our Mustang?", not knowing the 1st thing about cars you might think it doable if you had no clue that the name of an engine is not a universal application

On a side note the Chevy 302 was a destroked 350 built to compete in TransAm back in the late 60s...Boss 302s ruled the day

·
Registered
1,433 Posts
On a side note the Chevy 302 was a destroked 350 built to compete in TransAm back in the late 60s...Boss 302s ruled the day
Not exactly... it was a 327 block. The first year for the 350 was 1967 (same year as the 302) and both were built from the same 327 block.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I dropped a 454 big block down and set up my 1996 Ford convertible Mustang ! There is nothing like having a Chevy heart in a Ford Mustang!!!!!:shigrin:cooldude:

1 - 20 of 22 Posts