Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anybody know how and what i need to swap the base radio for the OEM premium touch screen in my 2014 . I already bought one used and tried to install, everything fits but it looks like i’m missing a plug or two. Is there a harness i need to buy seperate ? i got the climate control to work but the screen doesn’t turn on. if anybody knows anything please let me know.

·
Super Moderator
3,586 Posts
Welcome and thank you for joining ALLFORDMUSTANGS!
Please read the Site Rules and be sure to complete your Account Settings.
We are glad you have chosen to be a part of our community and we hope you enjoy your stay.

·
Registered
2002 Mustang GT coupe
59 Posts
Does anybody know how and what i need to swap the base radio for the OEM premium touch screen in my 2014 . I already bought one used and tried to install, everything fits but it looks like i’m missing a plug or two. Is there a harness i need to buy seperate ? i got the climate control to work but the screen doesn’t turn on. if anybody knows anything please let me know.

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
Those two youtube links are for aftermarket units not the factory Ford one that he's interested in.

Were there connections on the back of the unit that were unconnected? I would have researched if it was even possible before I possibly wasted $ on buying the factory touch screen/nav unit. If you need wiring that doesn't exist in your car(only exists in the Premium w/ factory touch screen) then you may not be able to. There's an ACM(audio control module) that likely needs to be flashed or replaced but I believe it would require the correct wiring and architecture probably not found in your car.

It turns out that it's apparently not possible in the 2010-14. Here's a link that talks about it: (69) 2012 Mustang GT aftermarket touch screen radio install? | Ford Mustang Forum (allfordmustangs.com)

·
Registered
10,712 Posts
just an unwanted comment, yeah I guess I am an old fart: I think touch screens in cars is one of the worst ideas ever . . . why would you want to be distracted with hunting through menus while driving; when simple knobs and buttons can do the same thing, only much easier and quicker and without taking your attention off the road?

old fart rant over, back to our regularly scheduled program already in progress . . . LOL

Reactions: riffraff

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
I actually agree. I watched as the process in the aftermarket happened going from a knob or two with many dedicated buttons to more and more menus and eventually almost none/no buttons or knobs along with unnecessary light bling. I appreciate the understated look that is more functional rather than a bright flashing Christmas tree.
And yes also having to look at and interact with a touch screen menu for a few seconds is more dangerous than going directly to button or knob which often can be done without even looking away from the road.

·
Registered
2002 Mustang GT coupe
59 Posts
My understanding is that you can get aftermarket radios with knobs also. I have to admit that touchscreens can be an issue at least until you get use to using them.

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
At the lower end many do have a knob and few buttons but nothing like they used to. At the higher end it's all touchscreen which I'm not cool with. Not even a volume knob... Having to open a menu or wait for a screen to open just to lower the sound is a waste of time and distraction.
I read a while back that in Germany their government made Tesla make an actual wiper switch instead of a screen option display for safety purposes...retroactively post sale. Tesla had to recall all of the affected cars and install the actual switch. It made me smile reading that.

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
Would have been easier and probably cheaper to go with an aftermarket touch screen. I installed a JVC unit and am very happy with it. It has a volume button and a feature that allows you to use your finger in a circular motion on the screen to increase or decrease the volume.

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
It may be possible that it exists at low volume levels but how many people are actually cool with talking to a machine. I never do it, not even on phone voice menus to get to a customer representative. I either press 0 or stay silent until it gives me a rep. If either of those don't work then I navigate the menus until the last option is the rep.

·
Registered
2002 Mustang GT coupe
59 Posts
I guess the alternative is to pull over and park and then make whatever adjustments. Most people won't do that though.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts