Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so obviously the square style intake is the more desired intake but I was hoping to get a little clarification on the swap.

All of the bolt holes except the one above #1 line up. Some people say leave it others tap it. Now all the other top row bolts have casting that they are drilled into. Now on my head, and I assume all other 84/early 85, if I drill the hole it will just go through the short/thin wall and come out into the upper part of the head by the valve train. Is this typically how it is done? Just drill through, tap and go on your way? Or do I need to place a small weld inside to drill into that way oil can not leak out of the hole?

Thanks for the help!
Justin

·
Registered
155 Posts
If I were to tap it I would use a part threaded stud with loctite. Like the studs with separate threads on the carb base. This way the center unthreaded area seals against when tight sealing the hole.

·
Registered
3,900 Posts
A stud is good but a bolt with some teflon tape is all that is needed. I use STUDS. Studs on the intake make it easy to install the LOWER Peace Tom:bigthumbsup:bigthumbsup

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok, so you just drill through the wall, thread it and go on your way.

Sounds good. Just wanted to make sure there werent any additional precautions I needed to take.

Thanks for the help!!!

·
Boss Member
4,627 Posts
1 - 6 of 6 Posts