Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A mustang owner is giving me a great price on a 01 GT 5spd because it is not starting. He says an non programmed spare key was used to start the car which possibly triggered the PATS.

I have an 02 GT auto. As I desperately await for my SCT tuner to arrive, I was wondering if it would be possible to remove all the PATS components from my GT and install them into the 01 GT?

Would that be possible? What components are needed.

The 02 GT is a project car so everything is accessible at the moment.

Off the top of my head, these are the components that I am aware are needed to complete the PATS:

PCM(vehicle computer)
Cluster
key with the cylinder/solenoid

There is small black module under the ignition that has a single cable running back to the dash. Would I need this as well? What else would I need?

Thank for the help in advance.

Regards,

t

·
Registered
2,146 Posts
why not just get a new key made for it a reprogrammed. ford reprograms for about $100-$140. if that is the problem of course.

1st start with checking every fuse, when there is a short circuit itll trigger the pats and not let you start the car. i learned that the hard way as my cobra just did this last week. turned out being a short popping the pcm fuse everytime i turned the key.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the input.

The car was a repo and somehow it has been an issue. I don't want to get a key programmed because I don't want to spend the money and maybe not start the car. Also I have an SCT tuner coming within a week but I want to turn on the car already!

Which fuse is it that blows?

Would I need anything else on the list? I after searching the web, I saw a module behind the passenger airbag cover of an f150. Would a mustang have the same thing?

Thanks,

t

·
Registered
2,146 Posts
im not sure. i just pulled the dash in my car and didnt see a module but i may have overlooked. the pcm fuse will be in the fuse box under the hood. id check every fuse though, just to be sure. is the mileage on that car digital? if so, does it look like this: -------------, when you turn the key on? not showing the mileage. also is the theft light blinking rapidly when you turn the key.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I wasn't aware of a module behind the passenger airbag until I saw this pic. Maybe this is only on the f150.

I am not sure. I still haven't even seen the car. If the mileage is ------- and the theft light if flashing, should I assume this is definitely a pats issue?

Attachments

·
Registered
2,146 Posts
that was probably in my car to but i didnt notice it. if its like that it could be a pats issue but the easiest thing is to check all the fuses and see if any are blown. if there are, replace them and see what it does, if they blow after turning the key, theres a short.

·
Registered
6,859 Posts
For the Mustang, PATS is contained in the cluster and PCM.

The PATS transceiver does not have to be swapped.

Sure seems like a lot of work just to start the car. But to each his own. You are aware that the auto PCM will throw a bunch of DTC's releated to the transmission?

Also, there is a possibility there are slight differences in the PATS system between the 01 and 02 MY. Ford has at least 4 versions between 96 and 04.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Just the PCM and the cluster? I thought there was more to that?

It's not a lot of work if it involves components that are easy to remove.

I've heard the tranny codes will not disable any driving abilities aside from screwing with your speedo..

Thx

T

·
Registered
6,859 Posts
I wonder how many ppl out there would have direct experience on what you are trying to do. Such that they would know positively the answer off the top of their head.

Or how may ppl are familiar enough with all of the wiring differences between an 01 and 02 MY to be able to answer that question off the top of their head.

There are two ways to answer your question.

Compare the wiring diagrams between 01 and 02.

Take an educated guess and go with the fact the two cars are close because there is only 1 model year difference. Furter, this was not a re-design MY (for example 98-99).

Getting cold feet now?

I doubt it would hurt anything. If asked to handicap this, I would say it would start.

As said before, I would be suprised if it didn't throw a ton of DTC codes related the auto/manual thing.

OBTW, there is some programming in the GEM. So don't be suprised if the door lock and the other devices run off of the GEM do not work. But that should get in the way of starting it.

But there's always the option of calling a lock smith and have them come to your house and re-program the key. No swapping required. AND you will have the key afterwards.

·
Registered
325 Posts
I have done this swap before. Long story short you need the pcm, cluster and 2 blank keys that will have to be reprogramed after the swap. so do yourself a favor and just get they 2 keys and have the keys programed to the cars pats. 100 doller answer to a ball breaking problem. regardless of swaping over the entire wiring system with the said^ it still didnt start. 2 blank keys n reprogram later fired up in a second.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for the feedback.

I will probably wait for the tuner to come in the mail.

I have two keys that are programed for the 02 gt pats.

If I migrate the components to the 01 gt, why would I need to reprogram them?

This is only a temp solution to turn the car on and drive it home.

Thanks,

T

·
Registered
325 Posts
Yes you would still need the reprogram most likely. the pats system is unreal fickle and doesnt like being moved n toyed with. its honestly easier getting keys made for the 5 speed.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
ok. so now this brings up another dilema. I originally had a 2002 GT(RIP) and then bought a 99 v6. I swapped everything from the 2002 GT to my 99 v6(gt clone).

I am 75% done. Still need the rear end and some other miscellaneous tasks. Am I going to have to get my keys programmed again?

Thx

t

·
Registered
6,859 Posts
Are you using the same PCM and cluster? If so, it should work. The exception may be the GEM.

Swapping the GEM from an 02 into a 99 is slightly more problematic. From working with others, I'm aware of slight differences in the behind the dash wiring between 99-00 and 2001+.

So if you are changing all of the wiring harness, then the GEM should transplant as well. If using the 99 GEM, it may have to be programmed.

I have helped ppl swap GEM modules. In some cases, the swap happened without a hitch. In others, it still needed to be programmed. I'm not sure what the key difference is.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts