Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How much would it cost to change my auto to a stick?
i got a 2008 mustang gt convertible automatic
my dad bought it for me in auto because he said i dont know how to drive stick but i recently learned and would love my mustang in stick
just wondering the cost for that and would it be just like a stick and sound like one or should i just stick it out and my next car will be stick

·
Registered
810 Posts
Put a high stall converter in and a good to then drive it. If not I'll sell you everything from my car. I'm going to an auto soon.

·
Registered
12,666 Posts
it would cost you about 8 grand when its all said and done and thats with a TON of down-time and hard to find parts. its better to buy a stick and take a hit on the depreciation of the vehicle.

·
Banned
696 Posts
it would cost you about 8 grand when its all said and done and thats with a TON of down-time and hard to find parts. its better to buy a stick and take a hit on the depreciation of the vehicle.
+1, OUTRAGEOUS cost, you're best bet if you desperately want a stick is to trade the car in on a 5 spd. Assuming your car is a GT (since you're in the GT section), you could get a turbo and have it be nasty fast lol. Still won't beat banging through gears but you can have plenty of fun anyway:bigthumbsup Otherwise I'd say be glad with the car you've got now, this way you can learn exactly what you like for the car you purchase next

·
Registered
313 Posts
What did you learn to drive a stick in? Go to a dealer and test drive one if you are unsure if you have to have one. If so then trade it in.

·
Registered
141 Posts
AMP performace in phx AZ has a auto to manual kit for the 05-09 GT

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
alright guyz i found a manual transition for around 700 bucks now is that the most expensive thing to change to make it stick i found a complete kit to change it from auto to stick but it runs for 4 grand and its a used transmition im wondering how much does everything else i need including the manual computer and wires and stuff

My dads friend is a mechanic and he said he would do it for me for free i just have to get the parts for him

any help would be greatly appreciated :wavey

·
Registered
2,693 Posts
Well you really can't just "Swap" the computers. you'll have to get a dealer involved to reset the PATS to a new set of keys.

Trust me this is not simply plug and play. Nor anything like the tranny swap's we used to do when i was a kid. It's going to be quite a bit more involved. I would look into getting all the parts from a donor car as STl mentioned.

I swapped from a manual to automatic trans a year ago. It's not for the feint of heart or weak of wallet! Trust me!

·
Registered
412 Posts
I doubt the economics of the swap would work out -- you'd almost certainly spend less money taking a depreciation hit in trading cars than you would performing the swap.

·
Registered
10,877 Posts
Get a CAI and tune and forget the swap. You'll like the difference in how the car acts.

·
Registered
33 Posts
juist put a slap shiofter in it then you will have the best of both worlds..I have mamual..my wife has the auto...easy/peasy to install..

Wish my dad would buy me a car....... :)

Grassy

·
Registered
781 Posts
Personally I had the same problem. I had a 07 v6 auto and wanted a stick for a long long time. Well I finally (this past weekend) just said forget it and got a 09 gt prem manual and only lost about 9 grand.... my v6 had 44k miles on it too. so i would just get some cash together and trade in, u also have a warranty in a new car vs nothing if u do it urself and trust me... changes like that always have some naggy problem that comes up.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
yea im a lucky kid my dad got me it when i was 16 in a half

but i mean its a beautiful car dont get me wrong i just hate how he got me a mustang gt auto :badidea:
i wish i would have just gotten the v6 would have saved money and not felt so stupid for not buying a stick

i sometimes put it in neutral and rev the engine to hear the true sound it makes
but i guess ill just stick with auto for a couple of years and then make my switch :weeps

or try and talk him into getting me a 07 gt with like 15 thousand miles so ill save some money lol

·
Registered
35 Posts

but i mean its a beautiful car dont get me wrong i just hate how he got me a mustang gt auto :badidea:
i wish i would have just gotten the v6 would have saved money and not felt so stupid for not buying a stick

i sometimes put it in neutral and rev the engine to hear the true sound it makes
but i guess ill just stick with auto for a couple of years and then make my switch :weeps

or try and talk him into getting me a 07 gt with like 15 thousand miles so ill save some money lol
I'm indifferent between autos and sticks and my preference goes back and forth. Right now I have a stick but honestly wouldn't mind having an auto with the right power but wouldn't even consider switching unless I traded the car in-just simply not worth the trouble or money. Keeping what you have for a couple of years and then simply trading the car in sounds like a good idea and in the meantime you might consider FI or some good bolt ons for NA.. Me thinks with some extra power you will find your desire for a stick will fly out the window.

P.S. When you go to trade sometimes its better to sale the car on the open market, especially if it's a Convertible... mine is and I refuse to let any dealer try and steal this thing.

·
Registered
341 Posts

Ummmm.... how about being happy with what you have at your age. Do you know how many 16 yr. olds would kill to have a new GT regardless of tranny's?!? Save up and get you a CAI and tuner and your problems will be long forgotten! :bigthumbsup

·
Registered
1,122 Posts

I wouldn't think getting a brand new 09 GT convertible with an auto trans is a mistake. And, I definitely wouldn't wish that I had gotten a V6 over a GT.

I say be gracious for what you were given. I've been drooling over mustangs since I was 16 and I'm still at least a year away from even potentially getting one. At 16 (even now for that matter) I would give my left kidney to get a brand new Mustang. And you were lucky enough to have your dad get one for you.

Count your blessings and don't slap the hand that feeds. That's just my opinion.

·
Registered
1,650 Posts
For the price of the trannie swap you could put in a Vortech nonintercooled blower and would forget all about a manual trannie. Its not like the S197s are using the old AOD trannies.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.