Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I found a great deal on 98 cobra seats, bought them under the impression that they would easily bolt into my 99 and have now spent all day trying to figure out where I've gone wrong. The driver's seat doesn't fit on my 99 seat tracks because of the seat belt placement, and the back bench doesn't seem to fully bolt in either. rage-smiley.gif

Has anyone got a guide for how to attach 98 seats to 99 seat tracks? Any other ideas about how to make the bench work?

·
Registered
2,905 Posts
I've done a lot of seat swap combos but I've never done that exact setup. Are you saying the 98 front seat base is much wider that the 99? They appeared about the same to me.

I did swap later rears into an earlier car. The lower tabs were slightly different so I easily.swapped the upper seats onto my existing frame. Then I had a problem where they would no longer unlatch. Maybe you won't have that problem, but I would pay extra attention to the frame latch. Maybe you can dremel and reshape it a little if needed.

·
Registered
71 Posts
there should be four bolts holding your seat onto the tracks, you might have to slide the track to get access to some of them, but they should just unbolt. the tracks should be the same bolt pattern at the seat. if not exactly, there should still be holes for the bolts.

·
Registered
2,905 Posts
there should be four bolts holding your seat onto the tracks, you might have to slide the track to get access to some of them, but they should just unbolt. the tracks should be the same bolt pattern at the seat. if not exactly, there should still be holes for the bolts.
Did you even read the first post???

·
Registered
71 Posts
Did you even read the first post???
yes, yes i did.
and his 99 seats certainly should bolt right onto the drivers and passenger side tracks from the 98. as for the seat belt, i think pictures would help because its not very descriptive as to why the seat belt placement prevents the newer seat from being installed.

i have done quite a few seat swaps and as far as i've noticed with fords of close years is that the seat frame is usually interchangeable with almost all ford seat tracks. the only things i can think of here are that either
A) he has power seats, or
B) ford radically redesigned the seats in '99.

·
Registered
2,905 Posts
You misread it then. He wants 98 the seats on his 99 tracks.

Do you realize the 99 tracks have the seat belt receiver mounted to the track; vs the trans tunnel like 79-98?

·
Registered
71 Posts
Do you realize the 99 tracks have the seat belt receiver mounted to the track; vs the trans tunnel like 79-98?
sorry, i didnt know that they changed where the seat belt mounted in '99. never looked that closely.

i imagine with a little bit of fab work he should be able to get the seats to mount on the tracks with the original seat belt receiver, no?

·
Registered
2,905 Posts
Can't say without seeing them. Hard to believe there is that much difference in the lowers. The difference in the receiver seems like it would only be around an inch.

Probably not worth the hassle to rig something. If he got them for a good deal he should be able to flip those, and look for some 99-04 GT seats.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts