Ford Mustang Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, I've had my 5.0 for only 5 days and SYNC is already broken. It only worked one time last saturday and then it broke! This afternoon I tried again but it keeps saying that there is no USB device connected even though my IPOD is connected to the USB port. I tried it with my IPHONE and still no luck!

Anyone else having trouble with SYNC?

--------------------------------------------
2011 Mustang GT,Sterling Gray Metallic, 401A, Black Charcoal Leather seats, 6sp manual, HID, Security Package, Shaker 1000, Rear View Camera, 19" wheels

·
Registered
325 Posts
Okay, I've had my 5.0 for only 5 days and SYNC is already broken. It only worked one time last saturday and then it broke! This afternoon I tried again but it keeps saying that there is no USB device connected even though my IPOD is connected to the USB port. I tried it with my IPHONE and still no luck!

Anyone else having trouble with SYNC?

--------------------------------------------
2011 Mustang GT,Sterling Gray Metallic, 401A, Black Charcoal Leather seats, 6sp manual, HID, Security Package, Shaker 1000, Rear View Camera, 19" wheels
The ipod and sync don't play very well together sometimes. the ipod or iphone can cause sync to lock up at times. 1st make sure the latest firmware of the ipod/iphone is installed then reset the system. This can be done by pulling the fuse for the Radio or disconnecting then reconnecting the battery. It would be better after you install the latest firmware of the iphone/ipod to simply take it to the dealer instead of doing it yourself.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The ipod and sync don't play very well together sometimes. the ipod or iphone can cause sync to lock up at times. 1st make sure the latest firmware of the ipod/iphone is installed then reset the system. This can be done by pulling the fuse for the Radio or disconnecting then reconnecting the battery. It would be better after you install the latest firmware of the iphone/ipod to simply take it to the dealer instead of doing it yourself.

Thanks FORDMOPAR70. I have the latest firmware on my Iphone. I'll just bring the car to the dealer and let them deal with it. I love my 5.0 but I just hate when this technology [email protected] F-up!

·
Registered
872 Posts
I can guarantee that the lastest update for the iphone is what screwed it up. My friend has one, and ever since that latest firmware his phone has been really really slow. Slow to the point that it takes literally 10 seconds for his text messages to show up. So just wait for the new "fix" update and see if the problem gets resolved.

·
Registered
118 Posts
I agree with what the other posters said, AND I had this same problem. Here is how I fixed mine (very easy). I pulled the battery cable from the negative terminal. Had dinner. Put it back on. Downloaded the SYNC version checker to make sure I had most current firmware in my car (I did). Plugged my iPhone 3GS running iOS 4 into the USB port and everything worked. Took <10 mins of my time, plus 30 mins while I had dinner.

This is not to dissuade you from taking it to the dealer, but this might be quicker. I did this last weekend and haven't had a problem again, yet. FYI, I tried pulling the fuse, but couldn't get the damn fuse box cover off, so don't go that route. Kick panel comes off easy, just not the fuse cover.

FWIW, I think the problem could still come up again since like ChaosFury said, this is an issue with the new iOS 4. I hope Apple fixes this in iOS 4.1, which I think is due later this year.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Did you try the bluetooth streaming? Works fine with my iphone and i'm on 4.0. I never tried the iphone via USB, because the bluetooth streaming was working fine with me.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Does the USB port not work at all, or will it still connect?

My USB port had a lapse of retardation and wouldn't work at all, than it would, than it wouldn't. I popped the fuse out, put it back in, and I haven't had a problem since.

·
Registered
2,476 Posts
Do either of the USB jacks actually charge an iphone or usb device?

I'm assuming there is one in the middle console and in the glove box?

·
Registered
2,476 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
There definitely is a problem with IPods and the SYNC USB. With that said, I recommend buying a cheap USB memory stick, transferring all your music to it, and using it as your SYNC USB device. SYNC has no issues with indexing and sorting your music on a USB stick. Once I did that, I've had zero problems.

·
Registered
75 Posts
I'm running Sync in my 2010 Escape and I decide to go with a USB Stick, got a 32GB one for $50.00 at walmart a shoved all my songs on there. I can streame to my Iphone and Ipod touch by bluetooth without a problem but never tried it with the USB connector. And for the guy who was asking the USB connector will charge at the same time.

·
Registered
421 Posts
I read it does not! One of the quirky mustang things.

·
Registered
160 Posts
I use an iPod Nano.

Works great, and system keeps it charged.

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
I have the Electronics Package & an iPhone 3GS with the ver 4 software update. I've had my car for 8 days now and noticed strange things. My ipod on my phone will start playing on its own sometimes. I have not been able to get things to repeat but its weird. I only made a few calls using bluetooth. The car was playing an MP3 at low volume before answering the phone. I answered and tuned the volume down further to better hear the call and I started hearing music... it wasn't the same song that was playing on the head unit. I finish my call and then heard music coming from my iphone - Weird. I think I might delete the tunes from the phone so there is nothing to play.

Anyone else have this problem?

·
Registered
95 Posts
i didnt read the whole thread so maybe someone already offered the solution that worked for me. pull fuse #3 for a few seconds then reconnect device. i have to do this once a month or so and it fixed the sync problem every time.

·
Registered
124 Posts
do a SYNC reset, worked for me when my car kept acting up.

There are youtube vids about how to do this for your specific setup.
Interesting to see that this problem has persisted since 2010. I drive a '13 GT with the same problem as the OP. Given that Ford can't (or won't) fix this problem, I've given up. One out of every three engine starts, I have to tell SYNC to find my Ipod (which is always connected to the USB port). Better still are the times when I get the message "USB not connected" when in fact it is.

My wife's '13 Accord is happily absent this problem. If Honda can figure out how to make its electronics work, why can't Ford? After three model years of similar complaints, why must Mustang owners resort to pulling fuses every month or receiving tutelage from Youtube videos just to get their sound systems to work normally?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts