Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone used a quart of oil stabilizer? What are your thoughts? Do you recommend it for (i.e.) a '91 Fox?

I am currently running my '91 LX with Motorcraft synthetic blend. Now I am leaning towards royal purple (4 quarts) and a quart of oil stabilizer.

What are your thoughts gentlemen, and ladies?

·
Registered
455 Posts
I have never used any of these products myself but have seen a lot of them. After seeing some of these products it made me wonder so I did some research. One of the first things I found from talking to other people is that it was a bit of a personal preference thing (some people will swear by it and others won't go near it). After digging a little deeper into the story I found that some of the different brands (not sure which ones) will use P.T.F.E. (Teflon) to provide protection. These ones you will for sure not want to use as even the make of Teflon will not allow it to be used for this application after they did their own studies and found that it will do more harm than good. This is why on a product that uses Teflon they will call it P.T.F.E. because they did not get it from Teflon (The Company) why will not allow their product to be used for this use. As for the products without P.T.F.E. in them, from what I have read, will still do more harm than good. A well known and highly used stabilizer is Lucas oil stabilizer. This product is supposed to help with cold starts, reduce heat, ect. The following website shows the effects of Lucas oil stabilizer and it does not look good http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/images/lucas/lucas.htm

The reason I had never even considered using a oil stabilizer even before reading about them was that motors have been run for all these years with just a normal petroleum based oil and have been known to run for 300-500 k if properly taken care of using these oils. So why mess with a good thing?

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
whoah!

The link was very informative and the evidence is there to back everything up. Thanks Tomu! What oil do you use?

I might just go with Royal Purple 10W30 when I do my oil change.

·
Registered
455 Posts
Right now I am using Castrol Syntec. I usually get whatever fully synthetic oil is on sale at the time as long as it is a good name brand. Mainly I use Mobil 1 and Castrol.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I want to chime in for Amsoil

Josegome,
I would like to give you my pick. Its the Amsoil 2000, 100% Synthetic Oil.
When you go to do purchase synthetic oil please make sure you are getting a 100% synthetic product. If you get what they call a blend you are get part patrolium part synthetic. You are not going to get the bennifits that you would with the 100% synthetic oil.
Why I support Amsoil is easy. They were the first to bring it to market. They have been selling 100% Synthetic Oil since 1972. Other companies might have been around longer, but they have not manufactured the synthetic oil as long as Amsoil.
Their is also a great air and oil filter by Amsoil. Its called the EA Oil and EA Air Filters. I run them in my vehicles. I will give you a link to check the specs for yourself.
http://xtremesynthetic.com
You will be able to find out all the technical stuff on this site.
If you have any other questions please feel free to drop me a line.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.