Ford Mustang Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
The numbers between the two are surprisingly similar. I think the GT40 makes a little bit more peak torque, and the Holley makes about 30 more peak HP.

The difference between the two is where the numbers come from.

You won't see the power from the Systemax until you are quite a way up in the RPM range. 4,000 RPMs plus. Up to that point, it looks like a dog. The GT40, on the other hand, makes lots of torque down low in the RPM range.

So, it all depends on what you want. If you are going to the track and dumping it at 4000 rpms, then Systemax all day long. If you are going from stop sign to stop sign, you likely will be better served by the GT40.

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
I still think it depends on what he is planning on doing with the car...which is why I included "it all depends on what you want..."

Systemax 2 doesn't get in front of the GT40 until like 5200 RPMs on a 347. Something just makes it hard to believe it would perform better on a stock 302...

173 0101 Super23 Z Photo

Super Intake Shootout - Muscle Mustangs and Fast Fords

Not that I particularly trust what a magazine has to say. But, they did post up a dyno sheet. Only one I have seen comparing the two intakes.

Sure, it makes power before 4,000. The question is does it make any more power? Show me a chart or provide me with some other evidence that refutes the dyno numbers and I will believe that it does, in fact, warrant the extra money on a street car.

You can get a tubular GT40 for what, $300-$350 if you are diligent and refuse to buy it from some jackass that thinks its worth its weight in gold. Systemax 2 is $600 plus.

G

·
I still think it depends on what he is planning on doing with the car...which is why I included "it all depends on what you want..."

Systemax 2 doesn't get in front of the GT40 until like 5200 RPMs on a 347. Something just makes it hard to believe it would perform better on a stock 302...

173 0101 Super23 Z Photo

Super Intake Shootout - Muscle Mustangs and Fast Fords

Not that I particularly trust what a magazine has to say. But, they did post up a dyno sheet. Only one I have seen comparing the two intakes.

Sure, it makes power before 4,000. The question is does it make any more power? Show me a chart or provide me with some other evidence that refutes the dyno numbers and I will believe that it does, in fact, warrant the extra money on a street car.

You can get a tubular GT40 for what, $300-$350 if you are diligent and refuse to buy it from some jackass that thinks its worth its weight in gold. Systemax 2 is $600 plus.

Well dyno #'s can be manipulated to do anything you want them to do......

Especially when the magazine thats getting the advertising dollar want the customers product to look good......

But why settle for a used gt40 when a few dollars more you can get some better that will grow with future mods......

But what seems to be overlooked is the combo.....

The combination of parts is what makes horspower......

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
Here's the thing...

When I see someone post "should I buy a GT40?" what pops into my head?

1. this guy wants to drop $50,000 on his car and run 9s

OR

2. this guy wants a moderately priced performance upgrade

If the sole goal is to make the car as fast as possible, then by all means, money is the key. As in the more you spend, the faster you will go. Not everyone has the means or even the desire to aim for goals like that, however. To tell every single person that the "best" thing they can do is the most expensive thing they can do misses the point. For the $250 difference between the two intakes, would he be better served buying the Systemax or getting a set of gears and a speedometer calibration device, for example?

The problem is, we do not know, and he hasn't told us any plans, so we are all just guessing.

If I came and posted "should I get a GT40 or a Systemax intake" anyone who recommended EITHER for me would not be being very helpful. Clearly, with a stock, automatic car, I should do gears first. My question is not answered by saying choice A or choice B is correct. My question is answered by saying "perhaps NEITHER of those choices is correct."

There is always a counter argument. Going as fast as possible at 6500 RPMs in third gear is not a goal shared by everyone. Some people just want "faster" as opposed to "fastest."

So, despite the fact that, eventually, the Sytemax will no doubt far outperform the GT40, that in no way is equivalent to saying he should buy it. Consider, there is no doubt that 42# injectors support much more hp than 24# injectors. By the logic expressed here, everyone should immediately go out and buy 42# injectors because someday they may grow into them...

·
Registered
13,138 Posts
I hear you alleymad but the OP had posted another thread that he has a turbo car and it is having problems and breaking up and blah blah blah....now he comes here and asks wether he shoudl buy a GT40 or Holley? It would take some work and money to have the GT40 flow what a Holley does but it ends there while the Holley has more to offer.
The Holley will give you more hp and support more but also like Reg said the intake will not be the begin or end all of making the HP as it is the sum of all the parts.

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
damn, 50G's to run 9? i run mid nines with less than 6 grand in my car.... hmmm someone is prolly mad now:laughlitt
How many hours you got into it? What do you value your hourly time at? How about the tools you own? How about rent on the garage to work on it? Even if you own the garage, you still have to count the cost of lighting it up, heating it, or whatever. All of those are actual expenses associated with getting a 9 second car, expenses I am sure you did not include in your $6,000 figure.

Sure, parts you can do it for a relatively low number. But, what costs more - parts or labor and rent?

I ain't mad - I just know how valuable time is.

·
Registered
369 Posts
u guys crack me up man. hey ricky i asked a very similar question that is still up on the current page that might offer some other valid points to think about. its in the 5.0 talk page.

here is a link alleymad.........AFM Intake the Power

G

·
By the logic expressed here, everyone should immediately go out and buy 42# injectors because someday they may grow into them...
And the part that is wrong with that thinking if everyone went out and puts #42's in the car that could possibly cause cyl. wall damage....

As with the manifold the only problem would not being able to use its full pontential based on the rest of their combo.......

damn, 50G's to run 9? i run mid nines with less than 6 grand in my car.... hmmm someone is prolly mad now:laughlitt

6K to runs 9's......:nono:

What in the 1/8 mile......:?:

:rollgrin::rollgrin::rollgrin:

·
Registered
13,166 Posts
LOL $6k and runnin 9's HAHAHAHA What a joke. Your gonna have half that in suspension to put that kinda of power on the ground. And with the 3k left that leaves you with a bare block to handle 800 hp.

AS for OP use the systemax intake. The tubular gt40 is good but not as good as the systemax and also the gt40 tubualr needs to be modified to reach its full potential. The bend in the tb neck should be straightened for full potential.

G

·
LOL $6k and runnin 9's HAHAHAHA What a joke. Your gonna have half that in suspension to put that kinda of power on the ground. And with the 3k left that leaves you with a bare block to handle 800 hp.
Trust me it will take closer to 5K in suspension.....:yup:

Well with the 1000 left you can get GT40 heads, intake and a used e-cam.....

Anyone who knows anything know thats all it takes to run 9's......

Oh i forgot BBK shorty headers & flow 40's......

:rollgrin::rollgrin::rollgrin::rollgrin::rollgrin::rollgrin:

·
Registered
2,003 Posts
I know of a guy who had an AFR 165 head, E cam 306 with a ported Explorer and good exhaust on his car. All his friends told him a Holley or RPMII would make more power, so he bought and RPMII and he lost power everywhere below 5,400 rpm and the traces of the two dynos were one on top the other through 6,000 rpm. Peak torque difference was 32lb-ft and average HP was 290 vs 296. That combination wanted a little less intake section - so saying a Holley or RPMII would be better is a crap shoot depending on what the parts used want.

·
Registered
13,138 Posts
But T how did the car run was it faster or slower. That whole dyno thing is great and a tremendous tool but it doesn't always tell the whole story. As with just switching an intake and nothing else does not do justice to the whole combo and I know you know this but just putting it out there for the others.

G

·
I know of a guy who had an AFR 165 head, E cam 306 with a ported Explorer and good exhaust on his car. All his friends told him a Holley or RPMII would make more power, so he bought and RPMII and he lost power everywhere below 5,400 rpm and the traces of the two dynos were one on top the other through 6,000 rpm. Peak torque difference was 32lb-ft and average HP was 290 vs 296. That combination wanted a little less intake section - so saying a Holley or RPMII would be better is a crap shoot depending on what the parts used want.

Which translates to......

It Is The Sum Of All Parts That Make Horsepower.......

Can I Get A..........

AMEM!!!!!!!

:myangel

·
Registered
13,138 Posts
AMEN and HALLELUJAH :bowingsmilies:bowingsmilies

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
well im glad to see some people know how to answer a simple question...... others just want to sound important thank you guys i went with the systemax

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.