Ford Mustang Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,
Brand new here. Pardon me for getting straight to the point. I have a '66 200 cid, i6 with a dual pattern block, which means I was able to put a '67 and later bellhousing on the car with a 3.03 three speed attached.

Now I'm wanting to convert it to a T-5. I read somewhere that the 4cyl T-5 with 3.97 first gear, etc. would work best with my stock 3.20 differential. Would like to get some thoughts from anyone who has converted a 200, or other inline 6 cycl to a T-5?

I am hoping to gain some information from the Ford Six Performance Forum, but for some reason have not been able to get my account activated. So, I was hoping there might be some 200 enthusiasts here that could help?

Many thanks for your time!

·
Registered
39 Posts
Hello,
Brand new here. Pardon me for getting straight to the point. I have a '66 200 cid, i6 with a dual pattern block, which means I was able to put a '67 and later bellhousing on the car with a 3.03 three speed attached.

Now I'm wanting to convert it to a T-5. I read somewhere that the 4cyl T-5 with 3.97 first gear, etc. would work best with my stock 3.20 differential. Would like to get some thoughts from anyone who has converted a 200, or other inline 6 cycl to a T-5?

I am hoping to gain some information from the Ford Six Performance Forum, but for some reason have not been able to get my account activated. So, I was hoping there might be some 200 enthusiasts here that could help?

Many thanks for your time!
I just did this swap a couple months ago with a 4cyl T5 but I also put in an 8" rear with 3.00 gears. I bought the adapter plate and crossmember from an online place. Found a driveshaft on craigslist, I bought a new speedo cable and gear from Modern Driveline.
I think 3.00 is pretty ideal for the steep 1st gear though. With the 3.20 you might be shifting into 2nd very fast. I wouldn't go any lower than the 3.20 gearset with the first gear that the 4cyl T5 has.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Shrinkdude, well nearly a year later, and still too much to do on my car...in the big picture. Although, I thought I'd respond to this ancient post just for grins. You could not have been more right about the 4cyl T-5. I'm still shocked my stock 200 setup could spin the tires, and first is a little too short with the 7.25", 3.20, but as soon as I scrape up a little more cash the comet 8", 3.00 in the garage is going in. I installed the NEW 1-barrel pony carb, and as soon as I can swing the 2" exhaust conversion (hopefully by summer) I should be where I want to be (for now) on my setup.

Thanks again for the help way back when. The 5 speed was/is the best mod ever. See you over at FSP...stay Inline:thumbup:

1 - 3 of 3 Posts