Ford Mustang Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm getting ready to buy a T-5 for my 66 coupe. All the Fox guys have either destroid their trannies or want top dollar for them. However the 4cyl and bowtie T-5's are going for just about scrap price. My question is there anyway to convert the 4 cyl T-5 to a V8 trans? I know the input shaft lengths are different so I'm thinking a new input shaft and bearing retainer would do the trick. Im trying to do this on the cheap so I don't want a new trans. I'll just rebuild a used 1. Any help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
IIRC the 4 banger t5 is the exact same thing as the 5.0 T5 should fit right up most you may have to do is swap the bell housing

·
Registered
208 Posts
the 4-banger bellhousing is identical to the v8 style. The 4-cyl T-5 is not quite the same as the v8, its gears are slightly different materials, makes it weaker, but as long as your "nice" to it it oughta last. The input shaft has a different diameter, what you need is a pilot bearing from a mid-80's Ford Ranger 2.2L diesel

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
the bell housing is completely different..come on, different bolt pattern at the block!!!!

the trans is NOT the same either...it's a LOT weaker.

fyi, in addition to that, it's got a 3.95 first gear, compared to the 3.35 first gear of a normal t5. It's gonna be like shifting a dump truck, especially if you have rear gears.

Having said that, it is possible to run it. use the mentioned ranger diesel bearing for the pilot bearing.

you can upgrade it to t5z spec...for about $400-500 for the gears, $200 for the rebuild kit, and your own labor. Look up anaheim transmission on ebay or the phone book..they sell kits

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
the cases are the same...it's the gearing that is obviously different. would it be better to swap the input shafts rather than use the different pilot bearing? thanks for the info...I'll check out their website

·
Registered
208 Posts
v8only is right, I meant the bellhousing length was the same, same tranny case. oops. I think the 4-cyl. has bronze gears? and the v8 one has lined gears.
I have the 4-cyl, 1st gear is completey useless except to lay down some rubber

·
Registered
895 Posts
They are very differnt, there are some things you can't really do on the cheap, and a transmission is one of them. Hit the local junk yards you may be suprised what you can get for a few hundred dollars, but it will take time.

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
can't just swap the input without swapping everything else.

just run the diesel ranger pilot bearing.

a WHOLE lot of fox guys run this trans without issue. Run it until you find a sutiable replacement

1 - 8 of 8 Posts