Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Oh great, ANOTHER t-5 related thread :)

Which throw out bearing do I need? I'm using the T-5 fork, late model bell housing, 10 inch spec stage 1 clutch and flywheel, and of course the transmission out of a 5.0 mustang. My clutch came with one, but I've read that I need a T-5 one..?

One more thing(s), I read somewhere that I need some sort of alignment pins for the flywheel and clutch? I thought the bolts align everything...? Also, I bought a ford racing roller pilot bearing, and it doesn't seem to want to go very far into the crank, let alone has any room for the thing to fit. It looks like even if it goes in as far as it can go, it will still be sticking out a bit. The motor is a 289.

Is this a problem?!

Thank you in advance!

·
Registered
400 Posts
Throwout bearing: I used the one that cane with the clutch. You can buy a separate one, just order the one for the year of the car you removed the transmission from.

Flywheel Alignment Pins: I cannot stress enough how important those pins are. You can buy a Ford Racing pressure plate bolt kit that includes the alignment pins. These align the pressure plate for balance on the flywheel and they also help keep the pressure plate stable when engaging the clutch, assisting in eliminating clutch chatter. I made the mistake of not installing the pins and just about vibrated my teeth out.

PIlot Bearing: Mine looked like what you described, however it works. I don't think it will be a problem.

Good luck and post your results. By the way, the T5 swap is the single most cool thing I have done to the car. I know the "original" enthusiasts scoff at radical changes, but hot rods should have three pedals. And the 289 sounds good shifting through the gears.

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I just checked my fly wheel and pressure plate, all the bolt holes line up but none of the pin holes seem to line up?

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
the flywheels have many pinhols for the dowls if memory serves...if your 5.0 dowel kit isn't fitting, it's probably the wrong flywheel.

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
the flywheels have many pinhols for the dowls if memory serves...if your 5.0 dowel kit isn't fitting, it's probably the wrong flywheel.

The flywheel is a stock replacement, not off a 5.0.

Newer diaphragm clutches work on it.

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
The flywheel is a stock replacement, not off a 5.0.

Newer diaphragm clutches work on it.
if there are no dowel pin holes then it wont work properly with a 5.0 clutch

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

·
Registered
2,655 Posts
Well the holes for the pins should be drilled thru but have a different dia at the bottom where the pins bottom. Without going thru, those pins fit so tight they would trap air at the bottom. Did you try rotating the clutch 60 degs to find any holes that match up? I looked at my McLoed flywheel and it only has the three holes for pins while the Ford or Hays on the shelf have a lot more. Everything you have sure looks like it ought to go together, unless they shipped a wrong part.
Dave

·
Registered
913 Posts
The 289 engine does NOT use alignment pins in the clutch.

The 10.5" stock BOSS 302 clutch will work perfectly on a stock 289 wheel, uses the stock 289 release bearing, and stock 289 release lever.

Of course, if you are using some non-stock release lever, this may change.

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thank you :)

I've been reading everywhere that people have been using the 10.5 clutch and needing the pins, but since I'm using the stock 10 inch, I won't be needing it, correct?

·
Registered
913 Posts
The stock 64-73 clutches do not use pins. The 6 retaining bolts are the alignment pins. The standard 289/302 clutch is 10", the 289HP and the BOSS 302 used a 10.5" clutch on the exact same bolt circle. Neither uses pins. That's a Fox-body 1980's thing.

Oh, and the 5.0 flywheel will NOT work on your engine, the balance is all wrong.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts