Ford Mustang Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
810 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have a 66 fastback A-code that came with no motor/tranny. I found a correct year motor, but not Tranny. I do have a early 70's 3 spd with OD Top loader, (cast iron) that I think came out of a truck. Not sure if this would be a wise chioce for my fsatback. Which now leads me to think about a T-5. The 5th gear would be nice and etc. But which T-5? The motor will be stock with a 4 barrel. How would the T-5 bolt up? Can I use the early 70s bell housing? Any hard to dos I should know about? What would you do?

Thanks, Greg

·
Registered
87 Posts
I dont think the T5 conversion is really hard, just a bit expensive, depending on what clutch system you want to run. I have a 68 mustang with a 302, and a four barrel carb. and i love the 5th gear. There are many ways to hook up the t5 to your engine.

1) if you want to use the early bell housing the you are going to have to use a spacer in between the bell housing and the t5 tranny. This would also be a good way to go if you are going to use the early clutch linkeage, and not the cable or hydraulic clutch system. Also the drive shaft would need to be shortened due to the T5 being a bit longer.

2) if you are going to use a late model bellhousing then the spacer is not needed. This bellhousing is great for the cable clutch and hydraulic clutch. due to the braket that is on the side of the bellhousing. If you are going to run long headers on your mustang i would stay away from the cable clutch, the plastic covering melts due to the heat and the cable just stops working. The hydraulic system on the other hand is great, and it ends up costing about the same if you go around and piece out your own kit, instead of buying one already put together.

I missed some little details here and there, but this is like a major overview of what is done. Hope it helps, I have gone thru the cable clutch and will never do it again, Im happy with the hydraulic and i have never had a problem with it.

·
Registered
378 Posts
Go with the T-5, I think the years are, any V8 from 1985 to 1993. I have a t-5 in my mustang works great, think mine came from a 1986 GT. I used the T-5 bellhousing and did the clutch cable. My car was also a A code fastback

·
Registered
576 Posts
Well summit sells adapter plates to fit a turbo350/400, T-56, or a powerglide to a 289, or for about $160 modern driveline(moderndriveline.com) has an adapter plate that that will mount the T-5. I say you should just buy a new T-5, you can get one rebuilt or from a junk yard but most often the new one isnt much more.

·
Registered
810 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I can get a T-5 with bell housing that came on it. Would this bell housing bolt up to my 289 with no problem? Would I still have to shorten the drive shaft? My fastback has a console, will the t-5 shifter work ok and not hit the console? Any recomendations for a shifter? Nothing was said about the early 70s 3 spd /OD Top Loader I have.

Greg

·
Registered
378 Posts
I used a 3 speed mustang shifter handle just weld a plate on the bottom of it to fit the T-5 fits right in the original hole.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts