Ford Mustang Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im having a forged short block installed over the summer and installing a 12psi pulley to my kenne bell, and also having a under drive crank installed… any way I guess the point im getting at is that its going to be about a 500rwhp car :gringreen and I am a little worried about the stock T-5 ( or T-45) holding that power.:headscratch: I want a T-56 6 speed but I just wana know what is involved in installing one of those. I here you need to shorten your driveshaft by about 1.5in and just a different trans mount.. is this true? Also were is a good place to get a T-56?

·
Registered
34 Posts
Places...

A good place to get one is Mustang parts and salvage. They offer evry part imaginable. Also Prestige Mustang. I believe these are the two largest Mustang salvage yards in the US. They will have the tranny plus everything you will need to swap it. You may want to get some more info on it though. I was going to attempt the same swap but after alot of research found out it wasnt what I would want. Its a matter of prefrence and reliablility. If you need the web addresses let me know. I have done alot of buisness with them converting a GT into a COBRA.

·
Registered
2,176 Posts
A standard T56 out of a cobra is not going to withstand 500rwhp either. You will need to have it upgraded in order to put that kind of power to it.

Richard

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I read that the T-56 was rated at 450rwtq.. but countless numbers of people take there 03-04 cobras and do a 2.8 pulley swap, tune, and bolt ons and way surpass 500rwhp and there T-56’s are fine… Do you guys really think that 500rwhp is to much for a T-56!!??

·
Registered
34 Posts
Thats why I didnt go with one. A T-56 is auctually very disappointing when you look at the number sit can handle. Of course some have taken their owners past the 500 mark, but so has the T-45. Its all a matter of preference. But when you get above 500 just plan on rebuilding whatever the factory built

·
Registered
2,176 Posts
I read that the T-56 was rated at 450rwtq.. but countless numbers of people take there 03-04 cobras and do a 2.8 pulley swap, tune, and bolt ons and way surpass 500rwhp and there T-56’s are fine… Do you guys really think that 500rwhp is to much for a T-56!!??

You heard wrong. Tremec rated it at 400 ft/lbs AT THE CRANK. I was wrong as I said it was rated at 450 in my previous post. Sorry. I can assure you that a T56 out of the cobra is not rated for 400RWHP so even if you hit it with 500+RWHP, it may last for a little while depending on how you drive it but I also will GUARANTEE it will break.

Richard
Tech Support
TKO Transmission Systems

·
Registered
189 Posts
im running a turbo on my 03 cobra making 730 rwhp and 680 tq...i have a street twin clutch but everything in the trans is stock...also runnning 315/35 /17 drag radials it it gets a bit of traction

never a problem

·
Registered
2,176 Posts
im running a turbo on my 03 cobra making 730 rwhp and 680 tq...i have a street twin clutch but everything in the trans is stock...also runnning 315/35 /17 drag radials it it gets a bit of traction

never a problem

As I said above...it may last for a little bit depending on how you drive but IT WILL BREAK .

If you think about it logically, you claim 730RWHP and 680tq on a transmission that is rated at 400hp at the crank. What do you think is going to happen? I suggest you invest in a box of Glad Flex Force trash bags and keep it in the trunk.:hihi:

Let me guess, you're still running 1310 u-joints too? :headscratch:

Richard

·
Registered
24 Posts
Hey 98STANG_2FAST4U do you still provide the list of parts needed to convert a GT to a 2003-2004 Cobra?

I have this project on stand by for quite some time. By the way, I also have an auto tranny, so, I know I have to invest quite some bucks and I'm willing to do so.

Hope to hear from you.

Cheers!!! :bigthumbsup

·
Registered
5,329 Posts
Like Richard said, you're going to need some strong garbage bags and a spatula. Either one of those trannys needs substantial work to handle that kind of power, let alone 730rwhp. It may last a while, it may break the first time you hit it, but it WILL BREAK, and not in a simple way. Invest the money and get a tranny built for that kind of power. Richard can hook you up with one and so can promotion powertrain, but you want to go through someone who knows what they're doing, and Richard definitely knows trannys.

·
Registered
2,176 Posts
Like Richard said, you're going to need some strong garbage bags and a spatula. Either one of those trannys needs substantial work to handle that kind of power, let alone 730rwhp. It may last a while, it may break the first time you hit it, but it WILL BREAK, and not in a simple way. Invest the money and get a tranny built for that kind of power. Richard can hook you up with one and so can promotion powertrain, but you want to go through someone who knows what they're doing, and Richard definitely knows trannys.

Thanks Racin366 but even we do not have anything that will handle 730 REAR wheel hp. In fact, nothing out there that is stock is going to handle it. The only choice they have is to get a Transzilla from Rockland Standard or get one beefed up by Pro-Motion, G-force, Liberty or similiar.

The member running the sick stang above, with 700+RWHP may be o.k. for now or even a little while depending on driving style and luck but as I said back then, he or anyone else trying it, is running on borrowed time for sure. Putting that kind of power into a tranny designed for 400 hp and torque at the crank is crazy. It is just simple logic that sooner or later, it is going to go.

Richard
Tech Support
Tremec TKO, T45 & T56 Transmission Systems

·
Registered
5,329 Posts
Yeah, its not an easy thing to build a tranny to handle that kind of power, and it won't be cheap either, but it can be done, nothing is actually impossible, though some things are very improbable.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.