Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay I'm getting ready to install my T-Lok with 3.73s on my '07 next weekend but I need to be absolutely sure I have everything I need for the install. This is a completely refurbished kit, so I don't think I need any friction modifier? What else do I need for this install?

What I have:
-3.73 ring and pinion gears
-T-Lok differential
-Puller Tool

So far what I know I need to order/buy:
-Shim Kit for Ford 7.5
-75W 90 Gear Oil

My car has less than 25k miles on it, and I heard that unless you have more than 60k you don't need to worry about swapping out bearings? How true is this? Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
239 Posts
A bearing press to but the berings on easly. New bearings cost no more than $30 so I got those too. You will probably need a pump to get the fluid in the differential. Also you wll need a magnetic base and dial inficator to check backlash. I believe that's it. I just installed mine less than a month ago and it was a pain and took 11hrs with 2 people. Keep in mind I didn't do gears either I stayed stayed stock. It might be easier to take it to a shop but good luck if you decide to do it

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
A bearing press to but the berings on easly. New bearings cost no more than $30 so I got those too. You will probably need a pump to get the fluid in the differential. Also you wll need a magnetic base and dial inficator to check backlash. I believe that's it. I just installed mine less than a month ago and it was a pain and took 11hrs with 2 people. Keep in mind I didn't do gears either I stayed stayed stock. It might be easier to take it to a shop but good luck if you decide to do it
Where did you get your bearings? My buddy has a press if I remember correctly. He's actually going to help me out and he's REALLY mechanically inclined and I'm somewhat not an idiot so hopefully I won't have to pay the shop :hihi:

·
Registered
307 Posts
Siber Express is right, it's added to the rear end lube, you can buy a 2 or 4 oz bottle(I can't remember the exact size) at your ford dealer if you want to stick with Motor Craft.

·
Registered
11,864 Posts
you need the install kit. comes with carrier bearings, pinion bearings and races, gasket, new ring gear bolts, lok tite, gear paint, shims, crush sleeve.(am)

you probably could get by with the axle bearings you have.

some gear oil has the additive in it, others dont. either way you have to have it. the gear oil bottle will fit up between the exhaust and body and will squirt in using the pointy nozzle they come with( but its a challenge)

you need to torqe everything to specs.

dont use the crap silicone for the cover gasket. buy some yellow versa-chem super sure tack gasket sealant( auto parts). i would recommend only sealing the gasket to the housing good the first time. then when you pull a 500 mile lube change, clean the cover up with thinner and glue cover on.

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
i got the rebuild / install kit from american muscle when i ordered my 4.10s last week. i will also get new axle bearings and seals. ive only got 30k miles. i just figure i might as well just rebuild the whole thing while im there, and its only $30 for new bearings and seals. got a friend who knows 8.8's like the back of his hand and has done more gear swaps than he can count......he is helping with install and the one who recommended the new seals and bearings while we are there..:yup:

·
Registered
4,254 Posts
I got the bearings and races at orielly's but like amustangrocks said there is a kit on am with pretty much everything. Hope this helps Rear End Installation and Bearing Kit (7.5in) at AmericanMuscle.com - Free Shipping!
This is perfect. It's even cheaper than Summit. Thanks everyone! I'll order it and hopefully it'll be here by next weekend.
i got the rebuild / install kit from american muscle when i ordered my 4.10s last week. i will also get new axle bearings and seals. ive only got 30k miles. i just figure i might as well just rebuild the whole thing while im there, and its only $30 for new bearings and seals. got a friend who knows 8.8's like the back of his hand and has done more gear swaps than he can count......he is helping with install and the one who recommended the new seals and bearings while we are there..:yup:

I ALWAYS recommend getting the installation kit mentioned above by lil05pony. The reason being is that you are opening a serviceable part of the car to improve it and by skipping the replacement of all the bearings/shims and bolts, you leave yourself open to having them fail prematurely in the future.

It is always a good idea to do this "preventative maintenance" because it will save you from having to redo it in the future.

I hope this helps, good luck on the installation!

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I ALWAYS recommend getting the installation kit mentioned above by lil05pony. The reason being is that you are opening a serviceable part of the car to improve it and by skipping the replacement of all the bearings/shims and bolts, you leave yourself open to having them fail prematurely in the future.

It is always a good idea to do this "preventative maintenance" because it will save you from having to redo it in the future.

I hope this helps, good luck on the installation!
Thanks! Yeah I ordered the kit last week. Just waiting on it to get here.

·
Registered
4,254 Posts
Thanks! Yeah I ordered the kit last week. Just waiting on it to get here.

My pleasure, let me know if I can be of assistance in the future!

·
Registered
1,749 Posts

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
actually, i take that back, its not free ship....$5. still a good investment if your installing yourself

1 - 14 of 14 Posts