Ford Mustang Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Other than the known advantages of getting a T-Lok, is there any disadvantages to it?

I know this may seem like an odd question, but since the rear is now locked, won't cornering ability become worse than an open differential?

Hopefully someone can shed some light to my question.

·
Premium Member
72,878 Posts
Other than the known advantages of getting a T-Lok, is there any disadvantages to it?

I know this may seem like an odd question, but since the rear is now locked, won't cornering ability become worse than an open differential?

Hopefully someone can shed some light to my question.
There really aren't any significant drawbacks.

·
Registered
11,864 Posts
its not a true posi, its a limited slip differential. meaning when the power is put to it, it grabs. its a much better setup for driving than a true posi, which you are right, as you would turn a corner, one tire would be binding turning at a different rate and not desirable for street driving.

·
Registered
1,627 Posts
It has clutch packs that allow slip under cornering load.

It's not locked like a welded diff or anything.

·
Registered
786 Posts
One potential dissadvantage to a posi is that when or if the rear end looses traction in snow or wet conditions, previously with your open rear end, you would hear tire spin, but usually not fishtail, with a posi, when you break traction, you typicaly fish tail a little (with the tcs off of couse) This can be unnerving in snow.

·
Registered
263 Posts
+1 on what Amustangrocks and Billthecougnut said.Think they covered it for you.

·
Registered
751 Posts
One potential dissadvantage to a posi is that when or if the rear end looses traction in snow or wet conditions, previously with your open rear end, you would hear tire spin, but usually not fishtail, with a posi, when you break traction, you typicaly fish tail a little (with the tcs off of couse) This can be unnerving in snow.
I had fishtailed with the open rear end. It was raining and I took the corner.

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
Traction Lock (T-Lock) and Positraction are both limited slip diffs. T-Lock is Fords name for it, and Positraction (posi) is GM's name for it.

The both work essentially the same. They have clutch packs that lock and unlock so the car can corner effectivly. If properly set up and driven, you won't notice any differance in cornering.

It's a limited slip, not no slip. It will direct torque to the tire with the most traction - to a point. If you put one tire on the ice, you won't be going anywhere soon. The tire on the ice will spin. Riding the brake just a tad will allow the torque to shift back to the other tire.

The clutch plates do wear out eventually; especially in a high powered car. I think that's the only draw back.

·
Registered
786 Posts
Traction Lock (T-Lock) and Positraction are both limited slip diffs. T-Lock is Fords name for it, and Positraction (posi) is GM's name for it.

The both work essentially the same. They have clutch packs that lock and unlock so the car can corner effectivly. If properly set up and driven, you won't notice any differance in cornering.

It's a limited slip, not no slip. It will direct torque to the tire with the most traction - to a point. If you put one tire on the ice, you won't be going anywhere soon. The tire on the ice will spin. Riding the brake just a tad will allow the torque to shift back to the other tire.

The clutch plates do wear out eventually; especially in a high powered car. I think that's the only draw back.
Your description and explaination of posi was great, and riveting reading and I was agreeing with you all the way...... right up to the point where you said the whole ice thing. Yeaaaaaaah, not so much. In a posi or limited slip rear end, there is a seperation of torque and it will allow the proper slippage to occur during cornering so you won't have the "chirping" that occurs with a locked diff, but if one of the wheels looses traction totaly, as in one on ice and the other not, then you will likely have ALL of the torque delivered to the wheel that is still stuck to the ground, and it will spin as well. This is why fish-tailing is soo easy with a posi, Once one wheel goes, the other one is soon to follow. Your description of the ice thing follows the logic of an OPEN diff, not a posi one. In an open diff, if you were one wheel on ice and the other not, that is where one would spin and the other wouldn't. In a limited slip or posi, if one goes crazy, the other one will follow suit.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well, I am planning to get wider tires with better tread, and there is no snow where I live, just some rain in the winter season. Shouldn't be worse than my setup I have now.

·
Registered
786 Posts
Well, I am planning to get wider tires with better tread, and there is no snow where I live, just some rain in the winter season. Shouldn't be worse than my setup I have now.
Dood, in San Jose, you should never have any probs. You will love having a lsd and gears. It has been by far the best mod I have ever done to my 6.

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
Your description and explaination of posi was great, and riveting reading and I was agreeing with you all the way...... right up to the point where you said the whole ice thing. Yeaaaaaaah, not so much. In a posi or limited slip rear end, there is a seperation of torque and it will allow the proper slippage to occur during cornering so you won't have the "chirping" that occurs with a locked diff, but if one of the wheels looses traction totaly, as in one on ice and the other not, then you will likely have ALL of the torque delivered to the wheel that is still stuck to the ground, and it will spin as well. This is why fish-tailing is soo easy with a posi, Once one wheel goes, the other one is soon to follow. Your description of the ice thing follows the logic of an OPEN diff, not a posi one. In an open diff, if you were one wheel on ice and the other not, that is where one would spin and the other wouldn't. In a limited slip or posi, if one goes crazy, the other one will follow suit.
LSD is a funny creature. It's limited slip, not no slip. It's not a locker, either.

When traction is limited, it will shift torque to tire with the most traction. But if one tire has zero traction, much of the torque goes to that side, like an open diff. You will still get some torque to the good side, but not all that much. You'll get moving, but not fast. That situation gets worse as the clutch packs wear.

>> If you put one tire on the ice, you won't be going anywhere soon. << By that i meant that you would move, but not quickly.

HowStuffWorks "Clutch-type Limited Slip Differential"

Off roaders have known this for years. Get one rear tire in the air, and you won't have enough torque on the other side to get over the obstacle. Apply a little bit of brake, and the torque shift will be better.

You can do the same thing with an open diff. Apply a little bit of brake, and you might get enough traction to get moving. That's what traction control does - applies brake to the slipping side.

Gear type LSD's (Torsion, TruTrak) work very differently. Lose all traction on one wheel, and you don't go anywhere at all. All the power goes to the slipping side. In road racing and drag racing, that's a good thing. When you break an axle the car just rolls to a stop, rather than hooking a hard left.

·
Registered
1,953 Posts
the lsd in along with the 3:73s were my best mod yet by far. if you just want a t lock...id go ahead and get a new set of gears also...cheapest route? get a take off 8.8

·
Registered
161 Posts
In Cali

Speed concepts has a 8.8 with the 3:31 which is a start for like 449.00 t shipping, your both in Cali so shipping shouldn't be to bad, I just picked up a takeoff for 649.00 total delivered from blue oval industries.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.