Ford Mustang Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey everyone, i just switched over my worn out t45 to a brand new tr3650 out of a 04 mach 1 (guy who owns mach 1 hated 5 speed and had a t56 swap before he took it home)

my issue is in the tr3650. It is brand new with 3 kms. Anyways, it is stuck in a gear, it looks like it is in neutral, and i can only move the shifter into the right side of neutral (near 5th and reverse). It won't go in gear, yet it is stuck in one because I cannot turn the driveshaft. any help with this is greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
5,431 Posts
has the shifter ball somehow come out of it's housing?

·
Registered
5,631 Posts
Your 2000 V6 (or are we talking about a 4.6 car?) was never meant to have a T3650. What did you do to correct for the difference in length, input shaft and so forth? The two transmissions do NOT just swap out.

·
Registered
2,176 Posts
Your 2000 V6 was never meant to have a T3650. What did you do to correct for the difference in length, input shaft and so forth? The two transmissions do NOT just swap out.

TB is right...they are not easily swapped out. Did you put this in your 2000 V6 or your '96 GT that is in your profile?

If you put it in the '96GT then I understand. The 3650 is what they call a multi-rail linkage system which means it has 3 main rails in the main case and 1 more rail going into the tail housing that your shifter is connected to (like a TKO).
The bad part is there are no access covers on the top of the main case like a TKO so the only way to fx this is to tear it down.
If it is wedged in gear, my guess is you have a broke shift fork. You would need to pull the transmission, remove the shifter assembly and the tail housing first, then pull the 5th/reverse syncro assembly off. Then, remove the bell housing and remove the gearset thru the front of the main case. :bigthumbsup

Richard
Tech Support
Tremec TKO, T45 & T56 Transmission Systems

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks for the help rj.. i was thinkin it was a shift fork as well. and sorry for not clarifying. i sold the 2000 v6 and i have the 96 GT

·
Registered
5,631 Posts
LOL, I just saw the first car listed and had to ask - because I didn't read down far enough on your profile!

My bad, not yours.

Good luck with the tranny - I would still check the shifter out first, but Richard is awful good.

·
Registered
2,176 Posts
LOL, I just saw the first car listed and had to ask - because I didn't read down far enough on your profile!

My bad, not yours.

Good luck with the tranny - I would still check the shifter out first, but Richard is awful good.

TB is right...before you go tearing into the transmission, remove the shifter tower from it and have alook. Make sure it is not something easy and obviously wrong with the shifter. If not, then opening the tranny is the only option. :bigthumbsup

Richard
Tech Support

·
Registered
80 Posts
I would remove the shifter and check to make sure the little plastic insert (ball socket) is in place and also make sure the shifter is installed so that it goes into that socket. Also take a look to see if there is anything else that looks out of place. Good luck.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
yeah just pulled the tranny out and the shifter. i am placing my bets on a broken shift fork since it will only move slightly to the left, and it is stuck in gear. I am completely oblivious as to how they could have broken a shift fork with 3 km on the tranny tho :headscratch:

·
Registered
5,431 Posts
I would FOR SURE contact the place you bought it at and explain the problem!!

·
Registered
5,631 Posts
Frankly it sounds like it might have been abused, either while IN the car, or afterwards (dropped on concrete on the tail shaft?).

·
Registered
5,431 Posts
But he said he bought it brand new TripleB? And it has very low miles on it presently?:headscratch:

·
Registered
5,631 Posts
Abused

But he said he bought it brand new TripleB? And it has very low miles on it presently?:headscratch:
Well, he said he bought if from where it was pulled from a new Mach One.

All it takes is one "oops", especially when the job is to remove one part and install a new one (the Mach One ended up with a 6 speed).

Storage might have been another opportunity for problems. Forklift operator, etc. And that tranny has spent the last 5 years in some kind of storage somewhere.

I doubt he bought it with anything like a new warranty, either.

·
Registered
5,431 Posts
oops I'm sorry I didn't read that part right, I just saw the word "NEW" Now I can see what you mean!

·
Registered
2,176 Posts
The shift forks in a stock tranny are not all that, that's why one of the main upgrades when rebuilding a transmission are to replace the stock fork with a steel fork. :bigthumbsup

Richard
Tech Support

·
Registered
5,631 Posts
I had one break in an old Volvo DL I once owned - happened right as I was taking off in first gear. Fork broke clean in half. Wimpy casting, looked like pot metal!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.