Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok guys, so let's hear the opinions roll in.

Option 1: Rebuild my T4 and mount it to my rebuilt 289

Option 2: For $500 more I can get a brand new T5 from ModernDriveline.com and mount that to my 289.

I will be keeping my old style clutch linkage because I just can't afford the upgrade right now with everything else I'm doing. I hope to upgrade to a cable clutch in the future.

Both options I'm getting a new SPEC Stage 0 clutch (OEM replacement, model SF950). It's going for $125 at CJPony right now and I just can't afford the $215 Stage 1 SPEC. I won't be driving it THAT hard so I'm not worried about it too much. My previous flywheel is just fine and is being retoothed and polished so I'll be reusing that for both options.

Option 2 includes a new T5z with a 2.95 1st gear and new aluminum bell housing.

What are your thoughts? I plan on using the car as my primary daily driver probably for the next 5 years or so, then I'm hoping to be able to afford to replace it with a modern daily driver and make it my "project" car. I don't foresee any extended highway trips, probably nothing more than 250 miles at a time, if that. Mostly around town, but occasionally on the road.

Is it worth $500 to upgrade to the T5? Or would it be better to stick with the nostalgia of the T4? I'm sure I could recoup the costs a little by selling the T4, but certainly not all the costs.

Just as a side note, the T4 is disassembled right now and needs a new input shaft, 2nd & 3rd gears, 1/2 & 3/4 sliders and of course the bearing kit. It's a 1964 case with a 1967 tail.

·
Registered
913 Posts
Your stock clutch and clutch linkage, carefully brought back to good condition, should work perfectly with the T5. I wouldn't consider a cable an upgrade. The T5 is certainly an upgrade, with the wide ratio and overdrive. You'll appreciate that on road trips, especially.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Your stock clutch and clutch linkage, carefully brought back to good condition, should work perfectly with the T5. I wouldn't consider a cable an upgrade. The T5 is certainly an upgrade, with the wide ratio and overdrive. You'll appreciate that on road trips, especially.
My current clutch linkage needs replaced, but I'm not going to be able to replace it. It has the old race style welded clutch linkage that guys used to custom make to keep it from breaking. I'd like to at least get it back to the standard upper/lower clutch arms at some point. But for now the current setup works fine. The T4 does have the wide ratio, so that is one bonus for the T4.

So you really think the T5 would be an upgrade? I'm afraid of losing that classic "4 on the floor" concept. But I also would really enjoy the overdrive I think.

·
Registered
5,978 Posts
Its a stick most can't tell how many gears it has by the shifter.Some go as far as to use the old shifter handle and ball on a t5 so it looks more stockish.If the car will see a lot of highway miles the over drive is real nice.And plus with the over drive gear you can up the rear end gear to a 3.55 or 3.73 and have a faster take off with out killing your top end speed.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Its a stick most can't tell how many gears it has by the shifter.Some go as far as to use the old shifter handle and ball on a t5 so it looks more stockish.If the car will see a lot of highway miles the over drive is real nice.And plus with the over drive gear you can up the rear end gear to a 3.55 or 3.73 and have a faster take off with out killing your top end speed.
Thanks for all the input guys. I decided that I'd really like to go with the T5, but I just can't afford it right now. The machine shop doing my engine called today and I'm going to have to throw about $500 into my engine with some various parts and upgrades. I'd rather get my engine how I want it right now.

I've decided to rebuild the T4 and drive it and see how it goes. I really won't be taking it on too many long highway trips, probably just a few here and there. And I'll just have to survive with the 4 speed. I took it up to about 85/90 before with the 4 speed and it wasn't too bad. I didn't even shift INTO 4th until about 70 MPH. Will probably be a bit noisy and I won't get the most perfect fuel economy, but that's the car!

It'll be kinda nice to be able to still keep that original "4 on the floor" aspect I think.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts