Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,636 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey peeps,

I just put together my new short-term project "Seda" (a thread on this car will be soon to follow, but it is a 1992 hatch with a 1991 2.3L N/A engine and 5 speed) and got it running nicely but have one very annoying issue. I put in a new clutch kit (pilot bearing, PP, disc and throw-out bearing) and used wheel bearing grease on the pilot bearing and white high temp grease on the input shaft of the T5. When the the car idles there is a high pitched squeeling noise coming from the bellhousing. When I push the clutch in, the noise goes away. In addition, when the clutch is engaged and I move the pedal in and out, the squeeling changes noises (so as the TO bearing rides back and forth on the input shaft without touching the PP, the noise varies). So I am pretty sure that it is the TO bearing making the noise. But it's new and I greased up the input shaft, so it's very odd...:?:

What kind of grease do you guys use on your input shaft? And if you don't think it's the TO bearing, please chime in, because if this noise doesn't go away on it's own soon, the tranny is coming back out.

Thanks, Steve:bigthumbsup:bigthumbsup:bigthumbsup

·
Registered
3,900 Posts
Steeve BUDDY that is one of the biggest problems with the ford clutch setup. Basically i use a high temp grease on the face of the TO bearing and a very little on the imput. Basically the rule of thumb is to install it DRY. Theory and fact is the clutch dust clings to both of them and makes an ABRASIVE compound. I will throw the dice on this one. Really not shure which way is correct. But its probably not the pilot bearing which i lube with chassi grease. Give the clutch some milage and see if it calms down. Sometimes the fingers are a little higher in spots and it takes time to set in. Also is the TO spring ok on the FORK. Sometimes one side breaks off and i usuallyremove the whole thing. The hydrulic fork is obsolete so a new one is not available. One of the problems with moders clutch release mechenisms is that the bearing always rides the fingers. Years ago the bearing pulled away from the fingers and it was not a problem. Good luck on this one no clear answer here its the toss of the dice when they make NOIZE LIKE THAT.Peace Tom

·
Registered
1,636 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Steeve BUDDY that is one of the biggest problems with the ford clutch setup. Basically i use a high temp grease on the face of the TO bearing and a very little on the imput. Basically the rule of thumb is to install it DRY. Theory and fact is the clutch dust clings to both of them and makes an ABRASIVE compound. I will throw the dice on this one. Really not shure which way is correct. But its probably not the pilot bearing which i lube with chassi grease. Give the clutch some milage and see if it calms down. Sometimes the fingers are a little higher in spots and it takes time to set in. Also is the TO spring ok on the FORK. Sometimes one side breaks off and i usuallyremove the whole thing. The hydrulic fork is obsolete so a new one is not available. One of the problems with moders clutch release mechenisms is that the bearing always rides the fingers. Years ago the bearing pulled away from the fingers and it was not a problem. Good luck on this one no clear answer here its the toss of the dice when they make NOIZE LIKE THAT.Peace Tom
Thanks Tom. I didn't use very much grease on the input shaft at all; "just a dab'll do ya" type of thing. The clutch fork was in really nic shape. You know I never thought of the clutch dust. Come to think of it, it didn't start squeeling until I put the car in the garage (a 50 yard drive) but I definately did not do any red line launches, LMAO, I actually didn't use any gas at all to move it. But maybe all my white grease is turning into cement?

You know the funny thing is that I had installed this exact clutch kit on Alice (1990 coupe 2.3 N/A) and drove her around for 500 miles without any noises at all. But the clutch kit initially came with a small package of grease that I have never been able to find and can't currently remember the name of. It was a dark grey colour and it's viscosity landed in the middle of engine oil and wheel bearing grease. I used that on the input and the TO bearing and no noises...

I think I am over thinking this problem, but if it doesn't go away in another 500miles, I am pulling the tranny and wiping off the input shaft and regreasing the TO bearing.

Thanks, Steve:bigthumbsup

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.