Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright I have a semi-built 4cylinder. Was an automatic not has a 5speed t5. If im not mistaking my rear end should have 373 gears in it right??? Well the rear end under my car is not the original one so I have no idea whats in it...It is 7.5 but I seriously doubt theres 373 gears in it. Has bronco II 5lug axles. But now for the reason of this thread, the motor has a good bit of power but this thing from 1st gear through 3rd is like driving a damn transfer-truck. The acceleration is terrible, 4th gear is pretty good and 5th is good till certain high speeds then theres a noise like the rear ends gonna blow out. So my question is whats a good gear for good acceleration with a 7.5 rear end with a t5 5speed tranny? I do have 17inch cobra r rims but I doubt there that heavy to kill my take off that bad...Any suggestions?

Attachments

·
Registered
3,900 Posts
355-373 is in the ball park. It also depends on the t5 you have but the 3.55-3.73 is best in my view.

·
Registered
1,791 Posts
Yup, what they said.

It's not the weight of the 17" rims that kills ya. It's the overall diameter of the wheel and tire. The taller the combo the higher(numerically smaller) your overall final drive ratio.

The next step up from 3.73 in a 7.5" rear is 4.11 and that might be too much gear. You need to find out which flavor T5 you have under there and also figure out your rear axle ratio.

With that info in hand you'll be able to determine which direction to go.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The t5 came out of another factory 4cylinder car. The rear axles I believe are the same as the stock 4lug ones.

·
Registered
1,857 Posts
Look for the tags on the trans and rearend and Google "T-5 identification" and "Ford differential indentification" using the numbers on the tags.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts