Ford Mustang Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guys, I have a T5 and it grinds going into second at high RPM's but it also Tends to "pop" out of second if I down-shift at low speeds without rev matching. When I'm just shifting normally it feels as though second gear doesn't go in all the way like the other gears (to put it shortly it almost feels like two "clicks" for the other gears but second feels like one "click"). I'm curious as to whether it is my fork or something more serious. Any ideas? I've noticed a couple of other threads with people reporting similar problems. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I hate to say it

It sounds like the synchronizer for the second gear is going out. possibly the blocking rings are worn out causing this. I hate to say it but the trans needs to be rebuilt. Joe

·
Registered
41,825 Posts
Welcome what year is your car?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Transmission issue

I was afraid of that, but bad news is better than no news at all. I've been looking into rebuild kits and am just wondering which brand I should go with, or if I should just save up and buy a little bit beefer transmission for it. Thank you for taking the time to post some advice though, any suggestions on which way I should lean?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you! My mustang is a 1986 but it has a 91 motor in it so its EFI and MAF. Nice Saleen by the way how many miles are on it looks mint!

·
Registered
13 Posts
If your not going to race it, I just would rebuild it. The kits might not include everything though. If your not familiar with rebuilding a manual trans. I'd take it to a tranny shop so you don't accidentally overlook something. Joe

1 - 6 of 6 Posts