Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
car starts and runs, sounds good. when i drive the car it goes into gear fine and the tires roll, then when i get up to like 20 mph the car doesnt wanna go faster, the engine revs up and everything but the car just stays going the same speed. ill take it out of first and put it in second and works until like 25 mph then it wont go any faster in 3rd 4th or 5th. is this the transmission? or the flywheel? idk what the problem is.. cuz its not like its slipping, the car takes off.

·
Registered
2,747 Posts
Almost HAS to be the clutch.

·
Registered
276 Posts
the clutch is slipping. the more power you make or torque needed to turn the transmission shaft the more it slips.

T5 transmission problems are grinding issues.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
so i took off the 4 bolts connecting my shifter to the transmission and there was a little red fluid in there, and i only had a little atf left so dumped what i had in and it sucked it right up, so im guessing its pretty low or somethin, it felt a lot smoother afterwards but still wasnt going over 25, do i have to pull the engine to change the clutch?? how hard of an operation is that? and what kind of clutch should i go with? im running a t5 tranny with a 95 h/o 302..

·
Registered
1,658 Posts
so i took off the 4 bolts connecting my shifter to the transmission and there was a little red fluid in there, and i only had a little atf left so dumped what i had in and it sucked it right up, so im guessing its pretty low or somethin, it felt a lot smoother afterwards but still wasnt going over 25, do i have to pull the engine to change the clutch?? how hard of an operation is that? and what kind of clutch should i go with? im running a t5 tranny with a 95 h/o 302..
The insides of a T-5 cannot slip and stay in gear unless teeth are missing from the gears. In that case, you will hear LOTS of grinding and crunching at ANY RPM.

Just because it "accepted" more fluid doesn't mean it was low.
There is a 1/2 inch NPT plug on the passenger's side with a 3/8 square socket hole in it that is about half way up the side of the transmission. That is the fill plug. With the car level, you should fill it with ATF until it is close to, or comes out that hole.

It truly seems that your clutch is "toast."

1 - 5 of 5 Posts