Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi I am on my third world class t5 within one year here is my problem the first t5 i got summit racing and when i bought it i also got a ram muscle car clutch kit and clutch cable well within 3 month 5th started to grinde tried adjusting the clutch but it did not help then about 1 month later all the gears started to grind oil was good so i called up summit and ther gladly replaced it for free got that transmission and the same thing started to happen wtf so called up again and got another one and once again 5th started to grinde called them again and the tech guy told me that these transmissions are not that strong and i told him that i heard that the shifters that they come with are junk he told me that is not case its just that thay dont hold up to abouse well so i got the pro 5.0 shifter and that solved the problem so are the stock shifters really junk or did i just have bad luck with transmissions

·
Registered
552 Posts
bad luck...

Ive seen t5s hold up to the limits of the 5.0 block (around 450hp)

and stock t5s from 87-93 still working to this day that have never thought of grinding

·
Registered
693 Posts
My t-5 was ****, now I have to find a auto cause they seem to have a higher torque rating.

Hi I am on my third world class t5 within one year here is my problem the first t5 i got summit racing and when i bought it i also got a ram muscle car clutch kit and clutch cable well within 3 month 5th started to grinde tried adjusting the clutch but it did not help then about 1 month later all the gears started to grind oil was good so i called up summit and ther gladly replaced it for free got that transmission and the same thing started to happen wtf so called up again and got another one and once again 5th started to grinde called them again and the tech guy told me that these transmissions are not that strong and i told him that i heard that the shifters that they come with are junk he told me that is not case its just that thay dont hold up to abouse well so i got the pro 5.0 shifter and that solved the problem so are the stock shifters really junk or did i just have bad luck with transmissions

·
Registered
2,361 Posts

That's bad luck, I've never heard of a shifter "fixing" a grinding problem. Now if you got the new tranny and put a pro 5.0 and haven't had problems than that's just a matter of the shifter doing it's job by preventing bent forks with the adjustable stops on the shifter. Either way the stock shifters are not optimal for racing because they're sloppy and tend to lead to missed shifts since they're about as stiff as a a noodle.

My t-5 was ****, now I have to find a auto cause they seem to have a higher torque rating.

The thing alot of guys have to remember is that T5's aren't all that strong stock, but they can hold up pretty well if you're not crazy with them all the time. Additionally these trannies on average are 10-16 years old so most of them have already been beaten by "enthusiasts".

·
Registered
46,010 Posts
Should you ever drive one with an aftermarket shifter, you'll then see how mushy a stock shifter feels. But that's just from preference.

·
Registered
2,361 Posts
Should you ever drive one with an aftermarket shifter, you'll then see how mushy a stock shifter feels. But that's just from preference.

Yeah the newer ones like on the t56 on the 03-04 cobra and even some of the new edge 4.6 cars (3650 tranny) are quite a bit better but as far as the old foxes those things are horrible.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
yeah i just heard that the stock shifter were one the weakest pieces on the tranny and the stocker was super sloppey it had like 1/2in of play while in gear so i put in the pro 5.0 shifter and it was day and night it had almost no play it was a bit notchy at first but is now silky smooth with no grinding?

·
Registered
55 Posts
T5 trans problem

How much power are you running ? just curious, so the shifter really fix the grinding problem, i learn something new. i've seen some cases like that before, got 3 reman 5sp for a wrangler, all 3 were no good right on the lift.

·
Registered
552 Posts
even going from my tremec in my v6 99+ car the fox t5 feels sloppy

until you drive a honda. like a crx or civic you dont know what sloppy is it just lays there like a dead fish

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I have stock h/c/i I do have 3.27 rear end gears pypes x pipe no catts aem brut force cool air intake a aluminum drive shaft advance the timing underdrive pulleys bypassed the smog pump proform electric fan a 180 degree stat i think thats it so i know i am well belowe the horsepower rating of the t5 the tranny is rated at 450hp and 330tq i think that the stock shifters on them are just complete junk the shifter had atleast a half inch maybe three quarter and the pro 5.0 shifter has adj stops on so you cant over shift the tranny and you will never miss the 2 to third shift but the shifter did not completley fix fith gear but it will only grind under hard high rpm shiting the stock shifter would grind no what i did.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.