Ford Mustang Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys I’m new to this so hopefully one of you could help me I have a nwc t5 i popped it open last weekend just to check it out and everything seems to be fine but I got to looking and from the research I’ve seen there should be 3 billet keys from 1st to 2nd I have 2 and the third is not there just empty slot the clip is still on but only 2 is holding it.. I have searched in trans and around and I know nothing fell out when I took input shaft out please help me could this cause problems?
Tire Wheel Automotive tire Automotive lighting Tread Automotive tire Camera accessory Gas Automotive wheel system Bumper

·
Super Moderator
4,437 Posts
Welcome and thank you for joining ALLFORDMUSTANGS!
Please read the Site Rules if you haven’t already.
We encourage you to complete your Account Settings.
Do you need help posting? Please read this FAQ.

We’re happy you have chosen to be a part of our community.

·
Hands
308 Posts
Hey guys I’m new to this so hopefully one of you could help me I have a nwc t5 i popped it open last weekend just to check it out and everything seems to be fine but I got to looking and from the research I’ve seen there should be 3 billet keys from 1st to 2nd I have 2 and the third is not there just empty slot the clip is still on but only 2 is holding it.. I have searched in trans and around and I know nothing fell out when I took input shaft out please help me could this cause problems?
View attachment 782069 View attachment 782070
Yes, absolutely! The sliding collar is pushed against the toothed narrow "blocking ring" between the collar and gear by the three INSERTS, forcing the gear to come up to the same speed as the blocking ring/collar assembly. That's called synchronization.

There are 3 inserts. They can work their way out from greatly worn blocking rings or extremely heavy shifting efforts, or both. With one missing, inadequate and uneven synchronization action takes place. I would replace parts as needed. Tremec specs a certain minimum distance to be used as a wear limit between rings and gears.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts