Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there! :)

Our 2005 V6 with 90K miles has a tachometer that works (well it moves) initially upon acceleration although I know it is not accurate. Then when cruising along, it will just drop to zero and stay there. Intermittently, it will begin to work again however very low of the actual RPM's the motor is running at.

I've searched the forums and must say I'm not finding much tonight. Maybe I'm not using the right key words so I apologize if this is a well documented issue I just missed.

Thanks in advance for your help in solving this mystery!

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
Actually yes it is a well documented issue in 2005s. Do a forum search on stepper motors. Here’s one hit, there’s a lot of others:

http://www.allfordmustangs.com/forums/2005-2010-mustang-talk/269867-going-replace-stepper-motors-my-gauge-cluster.html

You can read a review of how to replace the steppers here:

Stepper Motor Replacement for the S197 Instrument Pack

And get the updated motors off of ebay here:

New Gen 4 X25 589 stepper motors for Ford mustang - eBay (item 260638391240 end time Mar-17-11 08:13:33 PDT)

Dealers want a lot to replace the instrument cluster. If you don't feel you can do it yourself a speedometer shop may be able to help.

·
Registered
2,632 Posts
The stepper motors are a common problem with our cars. My speedo does it intermittently. You can replace them, or if you do not have the mycolor gauges, you can upgrade to them. There is a sticky it

·
Registered
590 Posts
normally, that is the problem. i have a spare cluster that is just missing a needle. maybe you can use it as spare parts or something. if you are interested, just pm me. from what i have been told, replacing a stepper motor isn't that bad.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts