Ford Mustang Forum banner
41 - 51 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #41 ·
Dropped off my new rear bumper cover and passenger side ground effect piece for paint a few weeks ago and then took a road trip. Called the shop this week and the guy said the paint was done on the bumper cover but the ground effect piece was taking longer (I guess it wouldn’t take the paint on the first attempt).

In the meanwhile, I went ahead and picked this up since the original part is pretty rusted.
Automotive parking light Vehicle registration plate Tire Motor vehicle Car

Hoping I can pick the bumper cover up soon and get it back on the car.

I still haven’t made time to put the new steering shaft in yet but am hoping to do that soon, along with an oil change and a few other things.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #42 ·
Picked up the bumper cover and ground effect piece a couple of weeks ago but forgot to update my various threads.
Vehicle Car Wheel Tire Hood

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #43 ·
I went to a car audio shop last weekend with the intent of getting a quote on a new stereo setup for the Fox. As much as I tried to convince myself I was OK with the soulless gap in the center console and no music, I needed something. The shop wasn't super busy and the guy ended up installing a new double din receiver in a little over an hour. I now have Apple Car Play in my Fox:

The passenger door speaker is missing but the rest of the speakers work OK. Next I just need to get a replacement door speaker, an amp, and a subwoofer or two.

·
Administrator
5,097 Posts
The passenger door speaker is missing but the rest of the speakers work OK.
Couldn’t the shop have installed a suitable replacement?

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #45 ·
I had a local shop weld in Flowmaster high flow cats to the offroad x pipe (it was on the car when I bought it). The car definitely seems a bit quieter and I think the cats helped get rid of most of the gas smell but I'll need to drive more to confirm.
Tire Wheel Automotive tire Vehicle Bumper

I still have the drone, I assume due to the Flowmaster mufflers, so at some point I'm going to see about adding a new cat-back or swapping the Flowmasters for a different muffler design.

Anyways, I uploaded a new vlog with a bit more on the cats and other things, a few days ago:

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #46 ·
I've been lazy about updating my various threads but I have a few updates on the Fox from the last month or so. After getting the double din with apple car play, adding cupholders felt like a natural next step:
Car Motor vehicle Automotive design Steering part Automotive exterior

That led to me finally getting the windows tinted:
Car Vehicle Land vehicle Wheel Motor vehicle

Car Vehicle Hood Motor vehicle Automotive design

Reactions: massacre

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #47 ·
I wish I had more substantial updates to report on the Fox but work has been really busy and lower temperatures have kept me out of the garage. I did get the body moulding stripe back on though, so the car is finally looking a bit more civilized, at least from 10-15 feet away.
Automotive parking light Car Tire Wheel Vehicle
Vehicle registration plate Vehicle Car Automotive parking light Automotive tail & brake light

I also got the other light fixture installed in the garage and did a little comparison video:

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #48 ·
Major complex/technical upgrade accomplished yesterday…….I replaced the passenger side mirror:

It actually did end up taking longer than I expected (shocker) because I didn’t realize I would have to take the inner door panel off to access the connector for the mirror. I'm pretty happy with the quality on the new mirror though. I didn’t replace the driver side but will do that too eventually.

I also discovered that I did have a door speaker on the passenger side but the wiring had broken off right at the speaker. I guess I misunderstood the guy who installed my new head unit a couple months back.
Camera accessory Camera lens Circle Electric blue Cameras & optics

If I had known earlier that yesterday was going to be a warm day, I would have taken it off from work and tried to get the steering shaft assembly installed. Missed opportunity.

Still haven’t found a good/affordable option for having rear end gears installed. All of the shops I've called either don't do gears or have quoted me over $1,200. Trying to determine what else I can make progress on while the weather is mostly cold.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #49 ·
Added a new vlog after receiving some new parts a couple of weeks ago:

Update since then - a Fox owner on another forum that I frequent gave me the name of a shop. I got a much more reasonable quote from them. I dropped the Fox off at that shop the week before last, to have the 4.10s installed. It seemed the shop was a little behind because they didn't get to it until this week. They gave me a call a couple of days ago to update me that the gears were done but that one of the axles looked like it needed to be replaced. I asked them to go ahead and replace both of them while they have the car and I am hoping I might be able to go pick it up tomorrow. Fingers crossed.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #50 ·
Almost a month later, I finally picked the Fox back up yesterday. The 4.10 gears are installed…..along with new 31 spline rear axles, a new rear main seal, a new clutch, a new clutch cable, and the speedometer gear kit. Long story but I think most of you know how it goes. I wasn’t thrilled to spend more money but I am happy that some things I knew the car needed (or would need not too far down the line) are fixed or replaced.
Automotive parking light Car Vehicle Vehicle registration plate Window
Tire Wheel Automotive tire Hood Automotive lighting

I didn’t drive it too hard right after picking it up. From driving it just a couple times, I can say that it feels a bit more like my 2014 Mustang, in that there is enough torque/power regardless of what gear you're in. Less downshifting required it seems. We'll see if I continue to feel this way in a few weeks or months. Also, the clutch feels lighter, which is nice. I hadn't driven the car in almost a month though. Will need to drive it more.

I was hoping that the RMS being replaced would reduce the oil dripping from the car but it already seems like that isn't the case. I've got more oil dripping from around where the transmission meets the engine and there's oil getting onto the X pipe that's creating a little bit of smoke and giving off a burning smell. From scrolling through search results, I understand the RMS is apparently never an easy fix and that it might not even be the RMS that is leaking. The joys of a project car.

·
Administrator
13,218 Posts
Nice project. Thanks for sharing.

41 - 51 of 51 Posts