Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i was wondering if the tailshft bearing would be cosidered part of a transmission rebuild. today i took my driveshaft out and you could move the tailshft up and down and side to side.could that be the bearing or a bent tailshaft? i think the tranny shop is trying to get one over on me. i need help my warrnty is about to run out. i've already replaced motor mounts,tranny mount,u joints,and had the rearend checked out and it was good.what does everyone else think i'm tired of this vibration.thanks to everyone.

·
Registered
1,828 Posts
I had a pretty bad drivetrain vibration and it turned out to be a combination of worn out u joints and drive shaft.I think the tail shaft bushing is a part of the transmission rebuild but I have also heard that it is not part of the rebuild. I switch to an aluminum driveshaft and it cured all of my drivetrain vibration issues

·
Registered
153 Posts
i've rebuit a few t-5's and the taileshaft bushing hasn't been included. i've haved to get it seperate every time. i'd just about bet thats your vibration. its been it on the last 7 or 8 stangs we've fixed.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
should you be able to move the tailshaft up and down and side to side or should it be nice and tight.

·
Registered
3,900 Posts
Anyone that does not change the tail shaft bushing is a DOPE. Not only does it effect the drive shaft it also keeps the Christmas tree straight in the gear box. On an auto it also keeps all the main shaft components on a straight line. Your question on vibration is probably not the shaft bushing. But stranger things can happen. And the shaft should not move side to side or up and down very much. A little is normal. If the play is excessive it will also mess up the output seal and a tail shaft leak will be the next thing you will have. To be honest you may have a double trouble. The bushing can be worn along with the slip yoke as well. This amplifies the movement of the yoke. Peace Tom

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
my tranny is auto and i never had the vibration untill the tranny rebuild

·
Registered
125 Posts
Anyone that does not change the tail shaft bushing is a DOPE. Not only does it effect the drive shaft it also keeps the Christmas tree straight in the gear box. On an auto it also keeps all the main shaft components on a straight line. Your question on vibration is probably not the shaft bushing. But stranger things can happen. And the shaft should not move side to side or up and down very much. A little is normal. If the play is excessive it will also mess up the output seal and a tail shaft leak will be the next thing you will have. To be honest you may have a double trouble. The bushing can be worn along with the slip yoke as well. This amplifies the movement of the yoke. Peace Tom
I had my drive line off this weekend and noticed by output (tail) shaft moves around too much also, about 1/4" up/down, side to side, etc. The output seal isn't leaking but the vibration I have must be from this. I know on my auto tranny it has a bearing and a bushing, does anyone know if the problem can be fixed with replacing the bushing? Or is it usually the bearing and bushing?

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
would the bushing be the motor mount i'm sure this is a dumb question

·
Registered
3,900 Posts
The bushing is a pressed in Babbitt or a bearing of some sort of bronze material. It supports the yoke and the Christmas tree assembly in the transmission. The yoke may have a spot worn down on it along with a bushing that is also worn. The combination of the two can cause excessive play. Whenever you remove the drive shaft the yoke should be inspected for wear. The yoke is one of those parts that does not get much attention as it should. The yoke is something that always needs to be checked thoroughly any time the shaft is removed. Their is always play in the yoke about 1/8- 3/16. If the yoke is to tight it will not allow the transmission fluid to lubricate properly if to tight. As far as the rebuild causing a vibration i would talk to your transmission guy and complain. If the vibration came after the rebuild its dead nuts something is wrong with the tranny or the instillation of the unit. The torque converter can be the cause if its not the correct one for the car or defective. Peace Tom

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
i took it back in to the tranny shop and they are replacing the bushing in the tailshaft.they are telling me that there is no bearing in there is he correct

·
Registered
125 Posts
How does someone know if the bushing needs replacing? My vibration is little compared to what others are saying and like I said my seal isn't leaking. I noticed the when I had the drive line out the yoke has a darker burnt look to it where it must ride in the bushing. Should I replace the bushing?

·
Registered
1,854 Posts
The bushing IS the bearing. A bearing does nothing but "support" a rotating object. Bushing, bearing...same-same.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
well i finnaly got my car back today and it does not have the vibration anymore.they said it was a broken spring in the valvebody that controls 3rd gear they said thats what was causing it.what is sad was i had to threatin them with 6news on your side before they fixed it.its been a nightmare hopefully this will help someone in the future dealling with bogus tranny shops. thanks for all the help guys.:bigthumbsup

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.