Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know a great deal of car stereo buffs rely on Crutchfield's fitment guide. Living less than an hour's drive from the headquarters, it's been fun over the years watching the company grow from a meager car stereo mail order firm to a highly respected and reputable electronics dealer.

With the zillions of car models out there and the ever-changing world of car audio, it must be no small feat to maintain such an impressive fitment database. With such a daunting task, would you think that errors may exist? You betcha. Sadly, Crutchfield is so confident of their data collection ability, that error disclaimers are few and far between, and this needs to be changed.

I expect that Crutchfield would reply to this criticism by saying that their fitment guide would err on the side of caution, and display a conservative result to one's query. This practice reduces the number of dissatisfied customers whose selections did not fit their car, however, it also greatly reduces the number of choices that truly fit. I think that when they're not sure if a piece of gear fits in a particular car, they just say that it doesn't fit. This "better be safe than sorry" attitude may have even persuaded customers to settle for gear they may not be happy with.

Case in point. I simply wanted to upgrade the stock 6x8s in my Mustang, as I believe the stock speakers are pure crapola. Using Crutchfield's vaunted database, only three or four 6x8s were shown to fit. Now, I have been an Infinity car speaker fan for many years, and especially the Kappa series. The Kappas fit in the deck of our Mustang, but Crutchfield had no Infinity speakers that fit the door. Oddly, the 6812cf Reference speaker fit, but has been discontinued in favor of the new 6822cf, which is exactly the same size. Only some of the components within the speaker have been changed; it uses the same frame as the 6812, yet Crutchfield said the 6822 wouldn't work.

Now, on the Infinity site, they claimed that not only the 6822 but the Kappa 6x8 would fit in the door! Smartly, Infinity included a disclaimer on the page indicating that they wouldn't guarantee proper fitment, but that it should fit.

I took the chance, and ordered a pair of 6822s for the door, and Kappas for the deck. I also decided to get a local stereo installer to do the work, as they have the tools and the skills. They charged me $25 per pair to install. When he removed the speaker from the door, we discovered that even the Kappas would easily fit! Now I was ticked off, as I wish I had purchased four Kappas, but I let him finish the install anyway. And rather than be ticked, I am tickled at how good the rig sounds!

The Shaker 500 is no elegant, superexpensive car stereo, but with a decent set of speakers, it performs admirably. Personally, with so much excitement under the hood, I don't see much of a reason to break the bank with audio gear for this car, but the stock speakers are just plain crap. The difference between the stock speakers and the Infinitys is simply amazing.

Thinking about getting new gear for your Mustang, or any other car? Get multiple opinions and don't rely on Crutchfield as gospel, as I once did!

·
Registered
91 Posts
mrblorry...NICE! Never has anyone so eloquently described the shaker speaker sizing. Thats good to know. I have been putting to much stock into Crutchfield's database. Hey now try out the subwoofers and let me know what works! LOL

·
Registered
41,825 Posts
Wow good info. Thanks for sharing this with us.

·
Registered
422 Posts
Hey! I was looking at getting those exact same speakers for my car! Glad they sound amazing and they fit. Might have to pick up four of em pretty soon. So much stuff to do, so little money :(

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hey now try out the subwoofers and let me know what works! LOL
Hehehe :gringreen

Actually, the folks that installed my speakers said they could order some 8" subs for the doors! I don't have details, and they'll have to see if they are shallow enough. The door is far less "thick" where the subs are installed than where the mains are.

BTW, in the next couple of weeks the JL Audio rep will be driving this demo car to the stereo shop where my gear was installed. I think I am going to have to check it out.

Slide Show

Make sure the photo gallery is of the "01-08 CES" This is one BAD blue Mustang. :gringreen

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hey! I was looking at getting those exact same speakers for my car! Glad they sound amazing and they fit. Might have to pick up four of em pretty soon. So much stuff to do, so little money :(
Now here is MY disclaimer! The install tech believed that the Kappas would fit without a problem, as the Kappa tweeters don't sit very high, and that there's plenty of depth in the door. He did not however, actually install them, and most importantly, didn't try putting the door panel back on! But, if I had access to another pair of Kappas, I wouldn't have hesitated installing them, as I had full confidence that they would fit.

Just a little CYA on my part. :hihi:

·
Registered
12,664 Posts
too much stereo equipment in the back, but the interior looks very sleek and stylish. someone put a good amount of thought into it.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
too much stereo equipment in the back, but the interior looks very sleek and stylish. someone put a good amount of thought into it.
It's a car stereo company's demo car! It's supposed to have lots of stereo equipment in it! :D

·
Registered
3,285 Posts
It's a car stereo company's demo car! It's supposed to have lots of stereo equipment in it! :D
LOL!!!

Thanks for the slide show. I always like looking at custom A/V setups.

Sorry about your troubles with Crutchfield. Don't write them off. I ordered the harness that allows you to use the door subs with an aftermarket HU, but coudln't figure out how to hook it up. Gave them a call and they explained it clear as day. Very nice, couteous and professional. I promptly informed their management about my experience. Anyway, I don't remember if I used them as my reference for when I replaced my door speakers. I knew 6x8's would work, but I didn't really give much consideration to the tweeters being possibly damaged by the door panel.

Good info though.:bigthumbsup

·
Registered
422 Posts
Now here is MY disclaimer! The install tech believed that the Kappas would fit without a problem, as the Kappa tweeters don't sit very high, and that there's plenty of depth in the door. He did not however, actually install them, and most importantly, didn't try putting the door panel back on! But, if I had access to another pair of Kappas, I wouldn't have hesitated installing them, as I had full confidence that they would fit.

Just a little CYA on my part. :hihi:
Duly noted, good man. If it doesn't fit in the end, I'll find a way. If I can't find a way, then I couldn't call myself a man :D

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
LOL!!!

Thanks for the slide show. I always like looking at custom A/V setups.

Sorry about your troubles with Crutchfield. Don't write them off.
Don't get me wrong. Crutchfield's help and advice is second to none. I just wanted folks to know that their fitment guide is very conservative, and if you've ever installed car stereos, nothing fits perfectly! It's always a matter of push and cram to get things to fit, so if you have your heart set on a particular piece of gear and Crutchfield says it won't fit, just shop around and see what others say. Many times, their advice will be spot on, but not always.

·
Registered
422 Posts
Don't get me wrong. Crutchfield's help and advice is second to none. I just wanted folks to know that their fitment guide is very conservative, and if you've ever installed car stereos, nothing fits perfectly! It's always a matter of push and cram to get things to fit, so if you have your heart set on a particular piece of gear and Crutchfield says it won't fit, just shop around and see what others say. Many times, their advice will be spot on, but not always.
Aint that the truth. I have a Clarion touch screen; the thing is seven inches deep. That, plus the antenna, plus the wiring harnesses, plus speaker wire coming in, and 6 RCAs/preamps going out all but filled my center console. Had to start bolting the thing in just so I could get enough force to pull all the wires out and fit the thing.

·
Registered
13,170 Posts
I upgraded the front speakers last year with the ones you mentioned were discontinued, the Infinity 6812CF and I just replaced the rear ones with the Kappa 682.7CF Infinity's. If you have big hands, forget about doing the deck speakers on your own. I manged to replace them all myself. :D They do make a huge difference in sound. :gringreen I did get the speakers from HookedOnTronics - Consumer Electronics @ Top Discounts which were at least $30.00 cheaper.
I have the stock radio and I am currently trying to figure out which radio to replace it with. Crutchfield says a certain Alpine radio will fit the Mustgang and Best Buy's site says it won't :headscratch:
I don't want anything fancy, going to try to keep it under $200.00.

·
Registered
422 Posts
I upgraded the front speakers last year with the ones you mentioned were discontinued, the Infinity 6812CF and I just replaced the rear ones with the Kappa 682.7CF Infinity's. If you have big hands, forget about doing the deck speakers on your own. :D They do make a huge difference in sound. :gringreen I did get the speakers from hookedontronics which were at least $30.00 cheaper.
I have the stock radio and I am currently trying to figure out which radio to replace it with. Crutchfield says a certain Alpine radio will fit the Mustgang and Best Buy's site says it won't :headscratch:
I don't want anything fancy, going to try to keep it under $200.00.
I bought a mounting kit from Metra. You just bolt that to the stereo and slide it into the place where the stock stereo was. Worked like a charm for me.

·
Registered
13,170 Posts
I bought a mounting kit from Metra. You just bolt that to the stereo and slide it into the place where the stock stereo was. Worked like a charm for me.
Crutchfield is a little expensive, but they do supply the mounting hardware and harness that are required at no extra charge.

·
Registered
91 Posts
mrblorry...I was thinking...Crutchfield might not recoment the fit for some speakers in the door because of the airspace required, specfically behind the magnet, for optimal sound. what did you go with in the front?

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
mrblorry...I was thinking...Crutchfield might not recoment the fit for some speakers in the door because of the airspace required, specfically behind the magnet, for optimal sound. what did you go with in the front?
Who knows why they said it wouldn't fit. I think it's too many cars and too much gear to keep it all straight. They make a valiant effort (especially if you own a Valiant :shigrin), but their suggestions are too conservative.

Airspace? I doubt it. Looked like there was tons of room behind the speaker. Our doors are way thick at that spot.

I installed the Infinity 6822cf Reference speakers in the doors. They list at Crutch for $100, but I got them for $55. The 682.7 Kappas list for $130 at Crutch; I got them for $60. I got both pair of speakers through vendors on Amazon.com!!

My only complaint, and perhaps someone knows a fix: My driver's side power window switches buzz like crazy now! It's either the tech didn't get that part tight enough, or that the increased volume has aggravated a preexisting rattle. CRAP! Anyone know how to quiet the switches?!?!

·
Registered
422 Posts
Who knows why they said it wouldn't fit. I think it's too many cars and too much gear to keep it all straight. They make a valiant effort (especially if you own a Valiant :shigrin), but their suggestions are too conservative.

Airspace? I doubt it. Looked like there was tons of room behind the speaker. Our doors are way thick at that spot.

I installed the Infinity 6822cf Reference speakers in the doors. They list at Crutch for $100, but I got them for $55. The 682.7 Kappas list for $130 at Crutch; I got them for $60. I got both pair of speakers through vendors on Amazon.com!!

My only complaint, and perhaps someone knows a fix: My driver's side power window switches buzz like crazy now! It's either the tech didn't get that part tight enough, or that the increased volume has aggravated a preexisting rattle. CRAP! Anyone know how to quiet the switches?!?!
Some well placed duct tape should do the trick if you don't want to maintain functionality..or looks...or anything. I betcha they won't rattle though!

But in all honesty, I think the only thing to do would be to try isolating them with dynamat or something. I eventually want to do that to most of my interior dash and side panels because I can not take the vibration from even the stock Shaker 500 door subs.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.