Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey I'm taking my automatic '66 mustang to the track tonight. Any advice before I go?

·
Registered
1,912 Posts
Don't start early...
Make sure you only have 1/8th of a tank of gas...
Ummm, don't lose!:happyhapp

What tires are you running? What's in your car other than your sig?

·
Registered
143 Posts
when the light goes green..put the pedal through the floor!

·
Registered
721 Posts
89 GTGHOST said:
when the light goes green..put the pedal through the floor!
If you wait for the light to go green, you will have a terrible reaction time. Assuming you are running on a Sportsman Tree (which you likely will be) you will want to hit the gas on the third (last) yellow. A sportsman tree is .500 seconds from light to light. If you gas it when you see the third yellow, you have a shot at a pretty good reaction time. Wait to see green and you will likely have a reaction time in excess of .600 . .. which is bad.

On a good night, I run consistent reaction times of below .050 (I ticked off 3 .047s in a row one night). Your automatic will be a bit slower than my clutch. So, you might want to power brake it a bit . . up to you.

You will have a few runs to practice if you are actually competing (usually 3-4 qualifying rounds before eliminations if its a bracket race). You will get a better sense of it during those practice rounds. If its just a night of heads up racing, you will learn as you go.

Let some air out of your tires for better traction, but don't get the tires too low. I usually run my drag radials at about 14 pounds. Do NOT do a burnout unless you are on drag radials or slicks. Burnouts do nothing for street tires except make them slippery.

Let us know how it goes!!!:eyepoppin

Oh .. I nearly forgot. If you see my car there . . . get ready to see tail lights!!!:winks

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So I've known for a while my car needed a new transmission. Now I am forced to get one. My first run I blew my tranny before I had time to get to second gear and I ran a 22.40 at 77.08. Time to put in a manual transmission and get back to the track. It was definately exhilirating just being at the start, too bad I didn't get to actually run a quarter mile.

·
Registered
3,404 Posts
lthompson05 said:
So I've known for a while my car needed a new transmission. Now I am forced to get one. My first run I blew my tranny before I had time to get to second gear and I ran a 22.40 at 77.08. Time to put in a manual transmission and get back to the track. It was definately exhilirating just being at the start, too bad I didn't get to actually run a quarter mile.
Sounds like a pretty decent timeslip in light of the circumstances.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Haha well it worked for about 2 seconds at the end. But yes I guess it was decent for the circumstances.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.