Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've fixed all the major stuff I've had wrong with my 3.8L V6 lately. Though it's my daily use ride, I still consider it my project car. Looking for suggestions to improve performance. It's a 97 and would like it to run as good or better than when I got it in 98. I am pushing almost 300K mi on it now.

Recently replaced plugs, water pump, thermostat, radiator cap, fuel filter, plug cables, battery, freeon, flushed the cooling system so let's steer away from those specific jobs. Considering things like sensors, parts I can remove and clean if appropriate, etc...

Improving gas mileage would be good, anything that needs to be done with high mileage vehicles probably needs to be done on my car. I'm just not sure what all I should consider. Let's think of this as preventive maintenance. I'm open to suggestions for mods though not looking for lengthy project ideas or anything where I will dump my wallet under the hood.

Please offer your thoughts or suggestions. Any youtube, website, manual or document references are definitely welcome with your suggestions along with any pictures or diagrams you wish to throw out there.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
One more note, if you offer a suggestion and I choose your ideas, if you are interested, let me know and I will post pictures, details, video, steps, etc... on how I did to share with everyone that may find it useful in doing the same on their pony.

·
Registered
2,905 Posts
Wow that's a ton of miles. Have the heads ever been rebuilt? How much oil does it burn? What kind of mileage are you getting?

As far as dumping your wallet.... your engine and trans may already be on borrowed time.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Whatever I can afford or is reasonably sensible is my limit, I'll just say it that way. If it isn't in the budget, then will put it on the backburner and save it for a better time. I still change the oil on regular schedule...every 3 mo or 3K miles. I go 4 quarts and also use a can of engine restorer each change along with dumping in the gas tank some Gum Out fuel injector cleaner, change the air filter. I don't really burn oil more than I ever did 200K miles ago. I've tried to take care of it. Haven't really noticed anything significant with the tranny but not really sure what to look, listen or check for. That's some of the stuff I'm looking for suggestions on as well.

I always believe in if it ain't broken, don't fix it, but fixed all the broken crap and just trying to make it run better, last longer, and need something to keep up the hobby of working on the dang thing. I always said I will make it last as long as possible and will drive it til it dies. If there's a hard to find part, I'm no stranger to the salvage yard either.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
What's the best thing for me to do or use for cleaning the MAF. Never done that before. I know where it's at and how to get to it but that's about it.

Also, didn't know about anything having to do with axle fluid. Thought it was closed off and supposed to be that way so ya don't have to mess with it, but still, that has its limits.

·
Registered
506 Posts
fresh fluids are essential, whens the last time the diff and trans fluid were changed or checked? is your brake fluid clear, clearish or murky?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts