Ford Mustang Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i saw that on another mustang forum.....is this true? or do they just think this because the sound makes thm think they are faster.....1997 stang v6 by the by

·
Registered
235 Posts
If you take the silencer off and look at it the end that sticks into your fender has a VERY SMALL OPENING. I was surprised when I took mine off at how small the opening was. It will give you better flow, which tranlates into more power, and even a couple horse gain can be noticable. If you want a real gain though get a CAI, just put mine on and it made a huge difference. Anyone no matter what there skill level could put on a CAI.

·
Registered
235 Posts
The stock air asymbly you have has a rubber "air silencer" that fits into the fender well. If you take it apart to put the filter in have the part that stays attached to the fender. It has two parts, the plastic piece that the upper assymbly attaches to, and a rubber piece that goes into the fenderwell. The rubber piece that goes into the fender is your air silencer.

If you undo the bolt at the top of the lower asymbly it will come free from the fender, just pull that piece off and you will get better flow. It won't be as good as a CAI, but it will help until you get one.

·
Registered
240 Posts
hey tuflehundon, can you think you can take some pics of the where the air silencer is or if you have one laying around? I jus would rather see what i need to take out and not take out something that is important, haha.

·
Registered
235 Posts
I don't have a pic and I got rid of mine when I got my CAI, but I will see what I can find on the internet.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Auto part

Heres a pic of the stock intake I got from EBay. the piece on the right is the section that is attached to the fender. The piece at the bottom is the air silencer. This piece really isn't needed and can be taken out. This section is rubber and the rest of that piece will be plastic keep the plastic section. Get a CAI later, enjoy

·
Registered
240 Posts
thanks alot dude

·
Registered
240 Posts
yeah i def. will get a CAI, but i jus got new wheels and tires so i have to wait a bit for some money (college kid). im jus gonna take it out for the time being and then get a CAI

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.