Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This past Thursday I finally had my Stang driveable, so I decided to drive it to work and show it off. Needless to say, I only made it about five miles from my house when all hell broke loose. My Stang was blowing smoke out the tailpipes. It looked like the thing had blown up. I wound up having to have it towed back home. My first thought was I just blew a piston up. There was oil everywhere. It was running out the headders, it was a mess.

Well I started taking the Upper and lower intakes off and I noticed that the upper had oil inside of it, and inside of the PCV valve. When I took the lower intake off I noticed that the oil gallery plug had shot out and was laying on top of the spider journal. I hope that this is all that is wrong with it. My guess is that the PCV was pullng all the oil up through the Upper intake which in turn was sending it down through the lower and out the exhaust.

Does this sound right to anybody. I need suggestions on what I need to do to fix the problem.
1. What caused the plug to come out?
2. Do I need to pull the heads in order to fix it?

Attachments

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
One guy I talked to said all I need to do is clean all the oil out of the upper, lower intake, and exhaust, remove the spark plugs, plug the oil gallery hole back up, spin the engine to blow out the excess oil on top of the pistons, and run a compression test on all the cylinders once I finish cleaning. If I still have good compression then I wont need to remove the heads. Can anybody tell me if this sounds right. I don't want to remove the heads if I don't have to. :sosad:

·
Registered
256 Posts
i would be more worried about the bearings than if you have compression. If it didnt run long, throw it back together and cross your fingers

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It still has plenty of oil in the pan, so It didn't run it dry. Plus It only ran maybe 30 seconds after I saw the smoke.

I really could use some good input on this if anybody knows alot about it.

·
Registered
46 Posts
What that guy told you to do sounds right to me. I'm no expert, but i've had a little bit of experience of what happened to you. When i bought my edelbrock intake, they forgot to send me the baffle, so it sucked oil up into my intakes, and it looked just like what yours did, mebbe not so bad, but i did have a huge pool of oil in my upper plenum. I would say just make sure to clean it out as best as you can, and yes do turn the motor over to get the oil out of the cylinders, cuz its going to run kind of badly when you first start her up.

But it shouldnt have hurt anything.....

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the info mrbob

·
Registered
4,807 Posts
I would do like they suggested. What a mess!

Did you put enough silicone on the water pump :doh:

I think you were just breathing in oil into your intake so it started smoking. Cross your fingers.

Why did you take off the header on the drivers side?

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
My first thought was that I had blown up a piston. I had every intension on removing the driverside head, so I removed the headder for that purpose. Then after I removed the lower intake thats when I saw the plug was out.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I installed the new plug last night and then ran a compression test on all the cylinders. I uploaded pics of the results. The only thing that concerns me is the number 7 cylinder. It is considerably lower then all the rest. Is this a bad thing? Should I worry, or just put it back together and forget about it? The number 7 cylinder, although lower then the others, is still above stock numbers on my buddy's 1993 Mustang GT. His highest cylinder compression was 185.

Attachments

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
puckett69 said:
I installed the new plug last night and then ran a compression test on all the cylinders. I uploaded pics of the results. The only thing that concerns me is the number 7 cylinder. It is considerably lower then all the rest. Is this a bad thing? Should I worry, or just put it back together and forget about it? The number 7 cylinder, although lower then the others, is still above stock numbers on my buddy's 1993 Mustang GT. His highest cylinder compression was 185.
Is this something I should worry about?

·
Registered
5,929 Posts
I wouldnt worry abut it myself .

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.