Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
621 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I knew this was going to happen now that I added a supercharger.

I need to take some gear out or use a taller tire or overdrive. What is the tallest tire than will fit an 89 LX, anyone have any idea? I'm topping out at 7000 RPM about 100 feet or more before the finish line, so I need to shave at least 1000 RPM off. 6000/7000=.857 *4.10 = 3.51 gear (3.55 will work) or 1.17*26 = 30 inch tall tire.

Will a 30 inch tall tire fit, or am I stuck changing gears from the 4.10 down to a 3.55?

Or is there a transmission that will handle about 500 HP and take a repeated power shift into an overdrive gear? This is getting expensive.

Tom

·
Registered
1,456 Posts
You need a TKO600. That should handle anything you put to it.

·
Registered
621 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
You need a TKO600. That should handle anything you put to it.
Can the TKO600 be shifted into overdrive at full power using the clutch but banging it fast???

Thanks!
Tom

R

·
0 Posts
I knew this was going to happen now that I added a supercharger.

I need to take some gear out or use a taller tire or overdrive. What is the tallest tire than will fit an 89 LX, anyone have any idea? I'm topping out at 7000 RPM about 100 feet or more before the finish line, so I need to shave at least 1000 RPM off. 6000/7000=.857 *4.10 = 3.51 gear (3.55 will work) or 1.17*26 = 30 inch tall tire.

Will a 30 inch tall tire fit, or am I stuck changing gears from the 4.10 down to a 3.55?

Or is there a transmission that will handle about 500 HP and take a repeated power shift into an overdrive gear? This is getting expensive.

Tom
no you will not be able squeeze a 30" tire in a coupe unless you mini tub the car....

a 28" tire will should reduce your trap rpm by 100 rpm

also try raising the air pressure in tire ( trust me this works)

also reducing launch rpm will help reduce the rpm on the big end....

there should be no reason to ever shift into 5th gear at the track......

check out promotion for a tranny that will handle 500+ hp

ProMotion Powertrain

·
Registered
46,020 Posts
A 30 will not fit without body modifications. You could get 28 inch tall tires, but are you using drag radials or actual slicks?

You might also want to look at GForce, you can choose your individual gear ratios if you want.

·
Registered
621 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks all!

I need at least a 14% engine speed reduction going through the lights.

I am leaning towards an overdrive transmission (like a six speed) that can be power shifted for cost reasons and driveability on the street. The trans would upgrade my weak T-5 and I would not have to throw away my new Nitto tires (that squeel most of the way through third) and existing 4.10 gear. Otherwise it would be tires, wheels, rear end assembly, and in a few months a transmission anyway because the t-5 will certainly blow up with the power the engine seems to be making plus I can't stop power shifting....

Tom

R

·
0 Posts
To get you where you need to be a gear change to 3.55's or 3.73's would take care of that especially if you go with a 28" tire

with out putting the my car on the track yet with the new combo
and a bigger shot of n2o .....

i will be going to 3.55's

something to think about......

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.