Ford Mustang Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone, I recently purchased an 2020 GT premium manual gear which was in an accident and had it repaired. this is my first Mustang ever. When i started driving the car, and on the first refuel, i noticed that it would refuel to 3/4 of the fuel gage on the dash, and starts reducing as i drive as if it did not fill to full tank. The second time, i challenged the guy at the gas station, but he showed me that fuel was already flowing up to the cap. I want to use a usb inspection camera to check inside the gas tank, is it safe to do so? has anyone faced a similar issue before? can it be the gage is reading wrong? how many liters is a full tank on these cars? Thanks in advance.

· Registered
597 Posts
A couple of suggestions, the first being a life - saver:

1) do NOT attempt to put a camera in your tank. Electrical sources and volatile fluids do not play well together and can result in fires or explosions.

2) Lift your car and perform an underside inspection. (This should have been done before you bought a wrecked vehicle). It is possible the collision was from the rear and the fuel tank was partially crumpled - reducing its capacity - but not replaced.

3) Until you have this issue resolved, do NOT attempt to overfill when re-fueling. When the pump shuts-off, stop. If you keep trying to add fuel, you can saturate the evaporative charcoal canister which may result in hard starts and the vehicle running rich.

4) It is possible you simply have a faulty fuel level sensor. This is fairly easy to diagnose, but based on your post - I would recommend you take it to a mechanic. This is especially true if you do not have the tools or equipment to safely perform suggestion 2) above.

Best wishes!!!!!!!!

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hi Guys, thank you for your informative responses. I did perform a full inspection of the car when i bought it. the damage was a front left side collision, and the damage to the left aft side was minimal. I think i will remove the fuel pumps covers and inspect the fuel level sensor as suggested then will see. Thanks again!

What kind of repair did it have done?
1FA6P8CF5L5179444

· Tech Advisor
2014 GT, 1967 Fairlane GTA
6,314 Posts
Hello everyone, I recently purchased an 2020 GT premium manual gear which was in an accident and had it repaired. this is my first Mustang ever. When i started driving the car, and on the first refuel, i noticed that it would refuel to 3/4 of the fuel gage on the dash, and starts reducing as i drive as if it did not fill to full tank. The second time, i challenged the guy at the gas station, but he showed me that fuel was already flowing up to the cap. I want to use a usb inspection camera to check inside the gas tank, is it safe to do so? has anyone faced a similar issue before? can it be the gage is reading wrong? how many liters is a full tank on these cars? Thanks in advance.
Hi Guys, thank you for your informative responses. I did perform a full inspection of the car when i bought it. the damage was a front left side collision, and the damage to the left aft side was minimal. I think i will remove the fuel pumps covers and inspect the fuel level sensor as suggested then will see. Thanks again!

1FA6P8CF5L5179444
You can't snake anything down the into the fuel tank from the filler neck tube so don't bother with that idea.
Where was it damaged on the left side of the car at the rear at all? The fuel filler is on the left side. If there was any damage to the quarter panel where the filler is located then that would likely explain damage to the tank.
It's otherwise likely a bad fuel level sending unit in the tank. If it wasn't damaged/fixed near the filler neck area, it's not a salvaged car(totaled out by the insurance company), and it's still under the 3 year bumper to bumper warranty you might be able to get Ford to fix it for free if you leave out the details that it was in an accident.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts