Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
708 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering if the throttle body and the EGR plate should be removed and cleaned periodically on a stock 5.0.
I cleaned the TB from the outside but was not sure if that was sufficient.
Thanks for the input.

Al :bigthumbsup:bigthumbsup

·
Registered
3,987 Posts
When I swapped to my GT40 intake I cleaned out my TB with kerosene. Cleaned it right up.

I recomend using the kerosene and a very soft towel. I've heard that carb cleaner isn't good to use on the TB's for some reason... :headscratch:

·
Registered
111 Posts
Carb cleaner isn't suppose to be good for MAF Sensors but I don't see how a TB is that much different from a carb in that it's simply a butterfly in a hole to control the air flow.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I learned the hard way on my 93 Cobra, I cleaned the TB, then I found out there is a coating on the inside and it started running weird.. Took it to the dealer and thats the first thing they looked for and refused to cover the TB under the warranty, had to shell out the bucks for a new one.. FYI

·
Registered
708 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I learned the hard way on my 93 Cobra, I cleaned the TB, then I found out there is a coating on the inside and it started running weird.. Took it to the dealer and thats the first thing they looked for and refused to cover the TB under the warranty, had to shell out the bucks for a new one.. FYI
What did you use to clean the TB with for that to happen?

·
Registered
3,449 Posts

There is a Yellow Sticker right on my TB from the Factory that warns against using any type of cleaner on it as it will remove the coating. I just took a paper towel and wiped mine off as it was not very dirty anyways.

·
Banned
96 Posts
What is this coating?
What compound?

What chemicals/solvents will lead to its degradation?

maybe most important....
How does removing a coating from the TB blade affect how it runs?????

·
Registered
5,170 Posts
What is this coating?
What compound?

What chemicals/solvents will lead to its degradation?

maybe most important....
How does removing a coating from the TB blade affect how it runs?????

:headscratch::headscratch::goodpoint:

·
Registered
46,020 Posts
I've wondered that myself. I've seen that warning, heard that warning, and heard of the coating being taken off.

One other thing... do aftermarket throttle bodies have this coating?

·
Banned
96 Posts
Teflon huh?

How does the teflon help the engine run better?
Guys have reported removing the coating and having an immediate drivability/power issue right?

Don't think I've ever heard of an aftermarket TB with coating issues... at least not on the Fox body stuff....

*shrug*

·
Registered
3,449 Posts
I dont think it was put on there to run better, I believe its coated to prevent any buildup. As for why someone would have driveability issues after spraying it off is beyond me.

·
Registered
50 Posts
They told me that the 93 Cobra had a clear coating of some sort, they didn't go into details only to say OUT OF WARRANTY! As I remember it was carb/throttle body cleaner and it was a Ford product, I still have a partial can. One other issue was, my K&N air cleaner supposedly coated the mass air sensor wire with oil, they replaced it under the warranty and put in a dry paper filter.

·
Registered
708 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
One other issue was, my K&N air cleaner supposedly coated the mass air sensor wire with oil, they replaced it under the warranty and put in a dry paper filter.
Is this a common problem with k&n filters and other filters that require oiling? :headscratch:

·
Registered
3,987 Posts
Is this a common problem with k&n filters and other filters that require oiling? :headscratch:
I've heard of that being a fairly common problem with the K&N filters. But I have had a K&N for a while now and haven't had any problems... yet...

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.