Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As the title suggests.. these are a couple things I've been researching for a bit. Do you guys mostly shut off your Traction Control Systems and turn off your Overdrive? I know people have said before they race they shut off both, and some shut off the TCS before they even put it in gear. In my opinion, the few times I've actually punched it I've never actually been bogged down by the TCS like I used to in my '04. Either the factory Pirelli's are really good or they did traction control better this time around. I also have an automatic so I have my worries about shifting into Overdrive if I'm at the track or for some reason hit fifth on the street/highway. Will I even notice a difference if I turn either off?

·
Registered
422 Posts
I didn't know these vehicles had an overdrive? Or am I just missing something? Is that why if I try to shift from 2nd or 3rd to 5th it grinds?

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
There's a little button on the side of the automatic shifter that turns the O/D on and off. But you have a stick, so I wouldn't know. I only owned a manual '05 for a day, but I couldn't stand it. Preferred the shifter in the '04 Mach 1 I took for a test drive, and the clutch had more play.

·
Registered
2,636 Posts
I didn't know these vehicles had an overdrive? Or am I just missing something? Is that why if I try to shift from 2nd or 3rd to 5th it grinds?
he has an auto. Traction control can really mess you up you may not notice it much but it meant .4 on a 1/4 time for me when i accidently ran it with it on.

As for overdrive, if you are racing shouldn't you manually shift your car? I heard these auto's are made to be shifted like that. Get your car tuned and it will be a world of changed in you shifting. I personally would drive in D not OD just because you have to give it more gas once it goes into OD in town to accelerate. I dont know much about these auto trannys so i hope some one comes on and gives you a better answer

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
As for overdrive, if you are racing shouldn't you manually shift your car? I heard these auto's are made to be shifted like that.
You mean start in 1 and shift up to D?

My '94 Z28 had D and OD gears, so you had to manually put it in OD. My two automatic Mustangs I've owned the OD is automatically enabled once you start the car, if you press the button on the side of your shifter you'll get a light on your dash that says O/D off. I was always told that O/D didn't make me faster or slower in my V6 so I never bothered toggling it off.

·
Registered
422 Posts
There's a little button on the side of the automatic shifter that turns the O/D on and off. But you have a stick, so I wouldn't know. I only owned a manual '05 for a day, but I couldn't stand it. Preferred the shifter in the '04 Mach 1 I took for a test drive, and the clutch had more play.
Oh ok. I didn't know it was automatic specific. No wonder I never found one. ;)

·
Registered
2,636 Posts
I mean when you are racing shift 1, 2, 3, D and your D is your 5th Gear. with OD on as soon as you hit D its going to kick in and send you into 5th gear. Because the computer does not know that you are racing and as soon as you hit some thing like 3,200rpms OD will kick in and send you into the next gear.

The stock tranny is a beef cake so i would not worry about it i have seen it hit high 9's with no issues

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I mean when you are racing shift 1, 2, 3, D and your D is your 5th Gear. with OD on as soon as you hit D its going to kick in and send you into 5th gear. Because the computer does not know that you are racing and as soon as you hit some thing like 3,200rpms OD will kick in and send you into the next gear.

The stock tranny is a beef cake so i would not worry about it i have seen it hit high 9's with no issues
I've heard of people manually shifting their auto's.. hmm. What about downshifting back to 3 and back to Drive to pass someone? Or if someone is riding your rear end.. downshift, heh. As long as I toggle O/D off with the button I'm sure I won't get kicked into O/D, it'll just leave me in 4th. Just trying to figure if it slows you down when overdrive kicks in :headscratch: I don't really want to go out and test it... too many cops this time of night..

·
Registered
2,636 Posts
if you put your car in D with OD on your 1/4 time with not be as fast as if you shift your self. You car will not redline through every gear make you lose allot of your cars power.

you can downshift as well those trannys are well built.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I've always been one to say, "You can't outshift a computer". It's smart enough to know that if you give it a little bit of throttle you aren't trying to race anyone and it will shift smoothly at a few thousand RPM's. If I mash down the pedal.. yes it will redline through all of the gears. People say it's not fun to drive an auto, I certainly don't have a problem.. I can play with my radio while driving. I'll have to find me a nice stretch of road and punch it with O/D on, and punch it with O/D off. I'm sure some people on here with auto's have done it before, so hopefully they can give me some more info.

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
at the track it don't make a difference if O/D is on or off you'll never get to fifth gear. when I'm driving in the city I turn mine off, on the highway I'll leave it on.
As far as traction control goes I find the car is more responsive with it off, definiately turn it off at the track.
bad weather days it stays on.

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
he has an auto. Traction control can really mess you up you may not notice it much but it meant .4 on a 1/4 time for me when i accidently ran it with it on.

As for overdrive, if you are racing shouldn't you manually shift your car? I heard these auto's are made to be shifted like that. Get your car tuned and it will be a world of changed in you shifting. I personally would drive in D not OD just because you have to give it more gas once it goes into OD in town to accelerate. I dont know much about these auto trannys so i hope some one comes on and gives you a better answer

Shift points can be set in your tune, my race tune is set to shift at 6200 RPM just inside redline.

·
Registered
398 Posts

I don't have that problem with my 06. I just leave it in D and give it H-ll It shifts at 6200 and on the track you'll never get anywhere close to 6200 in 4th so OD will not kick in at all as long as you're at WOT.

·
Registered
398 Posts
if you put your car in D with OD on your 1/4 time with not be as fast as if you shift your self. You car will not redline through every gear make you lose allot of your cars power.

you can downshift as well those trannys are well built.
Again, this is not correct. If you launch in D and keep it at WOT your tranny will shift at whatever rpm it is set up to shift at and it will not make any difference whatsoever in your time or speed. The only variable that I have to deal with is the fact that if I lose traction and have to back out of the throttle the tranny will shift into 2ond unless you have it in 1. I have found that shifting the tranny on the fly is slower than letting the tranny shift itself. I set my shift points and shift firmness with my Predator tuner and you can set shift points anywhere from about 3000 rpm to 7000 rpm.

·
Registered
398 Posts
Again, this is not correct. If you launch in D and keep it at WOT your tranny will shift at whatever rpm it is set up to shift at and it will not make any difference whatsoever in your time or speed. The only variable that I have to deal with is the fact that if I lose traction and have to back out of the throttle the tranny will shift into 2ond unless you have it in 1. I have found that shifting the tranny on the fly is slower than letting the tranny shift itself. I set my shift points and shift firmness with my Predator tuner and you can set shift points anywhere from about 3000 rpm to 7000 rpm.

PS I forgot to say that you can downshift if you want. I downshift all the time in mine and if you downshift at too high rpm the tranny will not kick down until you slow down. I love the sound mine makes when I downshift approaching an intersection.

·
Registered
571 Posts
what if it shifts too soon or you need to downshift? pcm automatically does it?

·
Registered
3,285 Posts
Ok, I must be missing something here. What's with all the downshift talk? Why would I do that at the track? Put it in D and hang on is what I thought one should do. There is no way I would even attempt to shift this thing manually. No telling what might happen.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.