Ford Mustang Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We installed the new Team Performance Products twin turbo system on my 2007 Mustang GT just in time for the Fun Ford Weekend series opener in Orlando. With no other modifications at all the car ran 11.75 at 124 mph. The sixty foot clockings were very poor due ot the fact that I could not spool the turbos on the starting line. So.....we decided after Orlando to replace the stock torque converter with a new Precision Industries 3500 triple disc unit to get closer to turbo spool on the starting line. While I'm still about 500 rpm shy of where we need to be......it helped! Managed to run this in Bakersfield last weekend during the West Coast Hot Rod Association race.

60' = 1.760

330' = 4.635

660' = 7.034 @ 102.01

1000' = 9.122

1320' = 10.887 @ 127.89 :happyhapp

I can not thank the guys at Team Performance Products/Exile Turbo Systems enough for the power they have given me with this car. We need to have the converter loosened another 500 rpm or so and get the tune finalized but this thing is an animal. The previous best runs this weekend (11.11 and 11.09) were all performed with me deep staging the car. While this is great for reaction times it damn sure kills elapsed time. When I asked for one more run I tried really hard to shallow stage the car but it did creep about three inches or so on me. Still.....a ten second car with nothing but a twin turbo kit and a small converter. We are still at 11.5:1 A/F ratio, 8 lbs of boost, and 10 degrees timing. The mph shows what the car is capable of running.

We are going to get another converter this week and have this one reworked as a backup unit. Then....a new tune along with the required pieces for sub-10 second runs and we're in business. Everyone involved with this car feels that 10.60's are not out of the question at the FFW Houston race. If it keeps the rods inside the block, that is.

Here are some things to think about......

Why Team Performance/Exile Turbo Systems?
While this kit might be higher priced that other kits on the market the engineering, installation, and equipment is second to none. Designed by Rick Head of Exile Turbo Systems to be the most powerful kit available today. The turbos in this kit are Garrett GT2871-R twin ball bearing units that can support up to 900 hp if you've got the engine and fuel system. No changing turbos down the road if you want to turn the boost up. The system is covered by a carbon fiber belly pan that attaches to the frame rails with Dzus fasteners. This keeps road debris and water out of the turbo inlet air filters. Plus.....it hides the turbos. Stealth.....nice on the streets.

Installation Nightmare?
Not with this kit. The installation is completely bolt on. No cutting, fabrication, welding, or hacking of the frame/engine bay is necessary. Even the stock exhaust system bolts directly to the kit. If you have a good floor jack, four jack stands, and an average set of hand tools you can install this kit at home in one weekend. I've done it. There will also be a complete installation article coming up in one of the major Mustang magazines so you can see for yourself just how easily the kit installs.

Tuning
The as-delivered tune is 90% spot on. Tune can be provided with either an SCT or Diablosport tuner. We have the SCT software controlling my car. I have some additional tuning to do for racing but the street setup is good. Mine is even milder than the delivered tunes since it was done as a test car. I've got 10 degrees total timing at wide open throttle and look how it runs.

Driving the car
Daily driving is similar to stock unless you press the pedal down. Currently getting 20 mpg in town and 25 on the highway. You honestly do not know the turbos are there unless you accelerate past 2500 rpm. Once they spool though you better know what you're doing behind the wheel. I can break the tires loose at 65 mph with no problems. Done it.

Additional Modifications
While there were none necessary for the turbo kit installation we did add a Precision Industries 3500 rpm converter for racing in FFW, NMRA, and WCHRA. I need an additional 500 rpm or so but that will come easily enough. We also added an 8 pt roll bar for NHRA/IHRA reasons. We knew the car would run quicker than 11.50 but had no idea the 10's were going to be so easy. I still have the stock cat back and mufflers on the car. For driving the car on the street and random jaunts down the racetrack......nothing else is needed with this kit. Except really big balls.

I promise to have pictures shortly. I did take quite a few this weekend but my camera ended up in the car when it went back to the Team Performance shop on Sunday evening. Damnit.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That's a mighty impressive time. I can't imagine what a sub 1.6 60' time would do.
I'm sure the connecting rods don't want to know either. :happyhapp

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Oh yeah. We're prepping a "replacement" just in case. Still....at only 10 degrees of timing, 8 lbs of boost, and less than 6300 rpm we might surprise ourselves with how long it lives.

·
Premium Member
1965 Mustang coupe
72,878 Posts
Oh yeah. We're prepping a "replacement" just in case. Still....at only 10 degrees of timing, 8 lbs of boost, and less than 6300 rpm we might surprise ourselves with how long it lives.
That is amazing on 8 lbs. With a good A/F it might last awhile. Is the 'replacement' forged?

·
Registered
200 Posts
Very nice times on an otherwise stock car and just 8 lbs of boost. What tire/rim combo are you running at the track? Don't tell me those are stock as well???

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
That is amazing on 8 lbs. With a good A/F it might last awhile. Is the 'replacement' forged?
Yes it is. We are going to keep it a 281" engine with stock compression though. Team Performance wants to show what this kit will do on a stock-style engine setup. So no stroker, no ported heads, and no cams at this time. Next season though........ :hihi:

bulldog71ss said:
Very nice times on an otherwise stock car and just 8 lbs of boost. What tire/rim combo are you running at the track? Don't tell me those are stock as well???
I wish. I do have the stock wheels on the car (front and rear) but I have M&H 275/50-17 drag radials on the rear. Best drag radial you can run on the stock wheel. Seems to work great right now. Once we get the car to leave a little harder I might have to step up to a 9.5" Bullit wheel and the M&H 325/45-17 tire. Stock Pirelli's up front though.

·
Registered
2,636 Posts
You might be fine. JDM gets there cars in the Ten's all day long with stock blocks. With only 8 psi you should be fine.

What did you dyno at? What are your suspension mods and other chassis mods as well.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
You might be fine. JDM gets there cars in the Ten's all day long with stock blocks. With only 8 psi you should be fine.

What did you dyno at? What are your suspension mods and other chassis mods as well.
Yeah....but I've also heard Jim tell someone not to push it past 10.50 too many times on the stock rods. That was on a blower car though so I might be in better shape than any of us believe. Dyno showed 489 hp/505 tq. After we ran the 128 mph pass we weighed the car and the scales showed 3825 with me in the car. Doing the math showed 626 crankshaft horsepower. Only rear suspension parts are Metco lower control arms. Everything else is stock. We did install an eight point roll bar because we figured the car would run quicker than 11.50 after the converter change. None of us expected the 10.88 though. :happyhapp

·
Registered
12,664 Posts
want to try the kit on a convertible? :D haha

·
Registered
487 Posts
I am amazed you get those times with just 8lbs of boost at 10 degrees max timing. I am not that much quicker yet I am at 16lbs and 23 degrees max timing. That shows the serious potential of this kit. Is the kit available yet? How are the street manners?

With a built bottom end, more boost and timing, 9's would be effortless I think.....:scratchchin

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
how long do you expect the block to hold up at 8psi? Can the kit be adjusted down a few psi to run safe for those of using are mustangs as DD and don't want it to explode driving to work?

also when is this kit coming available!

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I am amazed you get those times with just 8lbs of boost at 10 degrees max timing. I am not that much quicker yet I am at 16lbs and 23 degrees max timing. That shows the serious potential of this kit. Is the kit available yet? How are the street manners?

With a built bottom end, more boost and timing, 9's would be effortless I think.....:scratchchin
Paul,
I was as shocked as anyone when the showed that kind of mph. After thinking about it though....most twin setups work very well when you "load" the engine with timing and gearing. I told Steve Petty about the setup and he just smiled. Figured we were on the right track if he thinks it is good. Turbos have a completely different tuning strategy than twin screws. Street manners are just fine thanks to Doug's auto transmission tunes. Tooling around you don't even know the twins are under the car. Passing and freeway entrance ramps are a hell of a good time though! Kit should be readily available in a few weeks. My car was the first automatic car so they used it for the piping and turbo locations.

We are going to limit the car to what it has right now. Sponsor wants to run an entire season on the stock engine to prove that the kit is both powerful and easy on parts. I figure since we are chasing FFW, NMRA and the WCHRA points championships we will have around 350-400 runs on the car by November. Next season however........forged engine, ported heads, tubular front end, 16-20 lbs of boost, etc, etc, etc. :happyhapp

GT speeder13 said:
how long do you expect the block to hold up at 8psi? Can the kit be adjusted down a few psi to run safe for those of using are mustangs as DD and don't want it to explode driving to work? also when is this kit coming available!
Even at 8 lbs you should be fine running around town and using the car as a daily driver. The kit is very streetable and has excellent street manners. If you don't feel comfortable with that you can have the wastegates dialed back for 5 or 6 pounds of boost. Keep in mind though......I am at 11.5 A/F ratio, 8 lbs of boost, and only 10 degrees of timing on 93 octane fuel. Pretty safe and street friendly.

I feel that we can run this engine all year long and do quite a bit of street driving at eight pounds of boost. As long as you put decent fuel in the car and you have a good tune you are in good shape.

·
Registered
123 Posts
wow great numbers man. I am looking forward to all this Mopar and Chevy guys who have been talking **** about Mustangs and when they go out and buy the new Challengers and Camaro. When they line up to New Mustang like this one or alot of our members at the track they will lurn what Fords are all about.

First
On
Race
Day

Keep them running strong boys.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Hey shadowmaster I see your out of crosby so I take it Ill get to see maybe even line up next to the stang here in two weeks at Fast Ford Weekend at baytown. You going to make it out?

·
Registered
6,048 Posts
is it 8lbs of boost total between both turbos? or 8 on each to make 16lbs?? the stats from your 1/4 sound like it would be 16ish.. like psfracer.. but i could be totally wrong.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Hey shadowmaster I see your out of crosby so I take it Ill get to see maybe even line up next to the stang here in two weeks at Fast Ford Weekend at baytown. You going to make it out?
You betcha! I will be running in Ultra Stang. Were you out at HRP a few Sundays ago during Test/Tune? I could swear I saw your car out there when we were testing Dad's Thunderbird.

is it 8lbs of boost total between both turbos? or 8 on each to make 16lbs?? the stats from your 1/4 sound like it would be 16ish.. like psfracer.. but i could be totally wrong.
Boost gauge shows 8 lbs at the top end.

·
Registered
123 Posts
You betcha! I will be running in Ultra Stang. Were you out at HRP a few Sundays ago during Test/Tune? I could swear I saw your car out there when we were testing Dad's Thunderbird.
Sure was I was getting test time on what I had I put the paxton 2200 novi h.o. last weekend hope to get out there this weekend to get some runs in.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.