Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm not sure if this is the right spot for this, so if its not can someone move it for me? I've just recently finished my pro tools courses {music} and now i'd like to go to some sort of tech school. Does anyone know of any good schools in GA? Like wyotech, UTI, ect?

thanks

·
Banned
1,784 Posts
ive always heard that wyo tech was there best out there. my cousin went there and he said it was probobly the best time of his life... teachers were great, campus was beautiful, and all the courses were interesting. he also told me that right out of the school, almost every student in his class got a job because they went there. he ended up going into mechanical drafting and design but he works on cars on the side...

·
Registered
46,020 Posts
I went to UTI and all they care about is getting your money.

They make promises they don't keep.

My experience:
They're supposed to assist in finding out-of-state students housing. They sent me to a place that had stopped supporting the school 6 months prior because the school flooded them with students they couldn't accommodate. Because they referred me to this place, irregardless of the complex being full, they claimed they fulfilled their obligation to me and didn't have to help any further.

They're supposed to aid out-of-state students find work. They give you 3 choices and mine were:

One place was $10 an hour, but only 10 hours a week. (how am I supposed to live on that??)

One place was all the hours I wanted but he considered anything over 20 hours as overtime. COOL. But he was paying $3 an hour. (wth? how is that legal? that wasn't even minimum wage but this place was affiliated with the school so I'm not surprised)

The last place was servicing the cars at National Car Rental and paid $8 an hour, 40 hours a week. The shift for this job conflicted with my school hours so I couldn't take it. (I would get kicked out if I'm late 3 days out of the month. I would've had 15 minutes to fight 12 miles of Phoenix rush hour traffic so it was impossible)

In other words, they sent me to 3 useless job references and then claimed they fulfilled their obligation to me so they don't have to help anymore.

I went back to the office and they shuffled me aside, literally saying "we have other students to enroll at this time". Once you're in their system and they have your money, you're a number they don't care about. They just care about getting that new class in with their student loans ready to sign over to the school.

Go to WyoTech.

·
Registered
561 Posts
i went to new england tech back in 93 and from what i hear new england tech hasnt improved any, how do you spend a week on what a tire is constructed from and how its made????its flat or not its fixed or replaced....i also spent a week and a half on how to rebuild a starter and an alternator>>>>>> never needed that info its either good or bad ive never wasted time rebuilding one...then you get to electrical and they have you wire a board with bulbs on it and say "thats the idea just imagin a car and you have it" wtf noone in my class could figure elctrics out from the 3 months we had to learn the hard way....dont go to NE TECH its a complete waste and a job reference is pumping gas at a mobile ...no word of a lie that was a job placement for me i laughed

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the replys guys. I'm really thinking wyotech. Eagle, just curious here, how much did UTI end up setting you back?

·
Registered
608 Posts
I'm at Vermont Tech and I love it here, so much, that I'm going to stay for engineering. The garage is awesome, the instructors are intelligent and have lots of real world experience, and the placement rate for jobs is like 98%. Like Mello said, you'll have to take math, english, you'll probably learn tire construction (prob like 10 min, not 2 weeks) and you'll def learn to rebuild altenators and starters. But the hands on expereince is great and the staff and school are very supportive, not jsut after your money.

·
Registered
781 Posts
i went to new england tech back in 93 and from what i hear new england tech hasnt improved any, how do you spend a week on what a tire is constructed from and how its made????its flat or not its fixed or replaced....i also spent a week and a half on how to rebuild a starter and an alternator>>>>>> never needed that info its either good or bad ive never wasted time rebuilding one...then you get to electrical and they have you wire a board with bulbs on it and say "thats the idea just imagin a car and you have it" wtf noone in my class could figure elctrics out from the 3 months we had to learn the hard way....dont go to NE TECH its a complete waste and a job reference is pumping gas at a mobile ...no word of a lie that was a job placement for me i laughed
I went to NE tech also (now Lincoln tech), It is truley a usless piece of paper that cost about $6500 (went in the early 90's like you) can honestly say that 75% of the class went on working in a different field. They just teach you the very very basics, they dont prepare you for a real world job in the least. Most of the guys knowledge base leaving was no better then when they began.

My advice get a job as a C tech and learn at the place your employed, the right places will send you to get certified in different areas that you need. It is truley the best way to become a tech.....

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'm looking to work at my dads shop building motors but he doesn't offer any training in the area and with his schedule he doesn't have any time either so thats why i was looking into schools. Wyotech seems to be where I'll go.

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
I go to UNOH.

I like it here. The school as a whole isn't neccesarily concerned with individual students, and the on campus housing sucks, but the classes are good and the teachers are good. They also offer a lot of extra things to do outside of class.
There's a drag club, autocross club, a dirt track on campus that has weekend races all summer, the Engine Masters Challenge happens here.

People complain about a lot of little things here (housing, parking), but as a whole it's a good school.

·
Registered
46,020 Posts
Eagle, just curious here, how much did UTI end up setting you back?
If I remember right, it was over $20,000 and it took me from 1997-2002 to pay those loans off and that was including them taking my federal tax returns for 3 years straight.

UTI wants that money, that's it.

·
Registered
1,456 Posts
I graduated from WyoTech about a year ago, went to Sacramento campus.

I'd say do it. I think my year there set me back about $25,000, but its worth it.

Don't know how they do helping you find a job after graduation, but I found a job on my own a couple days after I graduated.

Being a certified mechanic is a pretty good job, I've actually worked at three shops in the last year (I'm greedy and go for the money lol) and haven't ever been unemployed for more than two days since I graduated.

·
Registered
561 Posts
i hear ya saleen i paid 16 k back in 93 the main campus is still ne tech they havent had to swap names yet to get a new batch of not knowing any betters lol same here to i went in knowing as much as coming out i felt bad for others people there they came from way out in other states for the waste of crap school i was just commuting to it i was there when they were just opening the body shop side wich seemed a bit lame as well ( we had a body shop at the time) and they were teaching no real world skills thereas well that i could see they now have a huge brand new auto shop building that is right off 95 in warwick its beautiful , but a friend of mine went not all that long ago and had nothing positive to say , not to mention the academics are a joke i had a history class where we talked about sex with the 20 something chic that was teaching us the whole timelol:bigthumbsup

·
Registered
214 Posts
Im currently attenting Ranken in Stl majoring in High Performance. The instructors are very good but the location is not the best.

Other than that its great.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.